What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins, also called as varicoses or varicosities are enlarged, twisted and swollen veins, that appear bluish purple or red in colour. They occur because of the defects in the valves present in the veins, because of which there is flow of blood in the wrong direction, and cause pooling of blood in the veins.
Varicose veins can happen in any superficial veins of the body but they are more common in legs due to increased pressure in veins present on the lower portion of the body, because of standing and walking.
Varicose veins are more common in women. For most of the people it does not produce any significant symptom and is only a matter of cosmetic concern. Though, it can be very painful condition for some people and in severe conditions it may rupture to form varicose ulcers on the skin.
Homeopathic medicines can prove very useful in treating varicose veins. Patients may consult the best homeopathy doctor for not only relieving the symptoms, but also strengthening the valves of the veins to cure the disease.
Arteries carry oxygenated blood from the heart to all parts of the body. Veins are responsible for carrying the deoxygenated blood back to heart, and thus the blood keep circulating in the body. Veins have to carry the blood against the gravity in the legs, to facilitate this process muscles contract in the legs to push the blood upwards, along with that there are tiny valves in the veins which allow the flow of blood upward, but close immediately to prevent the back flow.
In the case of varicose veins, these valves become weak or are damaged, allowing the blood to pool in the veins and thus cause it to become swollen, stretched or twisted.
Some of the potential causes that varicose veins are-
- Standing for long periods of time
- In ages over 50
- Due to obesity
Signs and symptoms
If the varicose veins are not painful, they may be diagnosed if there are presence of
- Dark purple or blue colour veins on the legs or other parts of the body
- There are presence of veins which appear twisted and bulging
If the varicose veins are painful, they present with sign and symptoms like-
- Feeling of heaviness in the legs
- Pains and heaviness become worse after standing or sitting for long periods of time
- Burning, throbbing and cramping sensation in the affected parts
- Itchy sensation along the affected veins
- Skin discolouration around the affected areas
Factors that can increase the risk of developing varicose veins are-
- Aging causes regular wear and tear in the valves of the veins, eventually leading to weakening of the valves, which might result in pooling of blood and cause varicose veins.
- During pregnancy, the blood volume increases to facilitate growth of featus. It results into unwanted side effects or enlarged blood vessels in the legs.
- People having family history of varicose veins are more at risk of developing it in future.
- Female hormones have a relaxing effects on the valves, that is why they are more prone to develop varicose veins.
- Being overweight can put extra pressure on veins and result in this condition.
- People having jobs where the person has to remain standing or sitting for long periods are also at risk of developing varicose veins.
Varicose veins rarely cause any complications, but if ever it happens it may result into-
- Varicose ulcers
- In the deep veins in the body get enlarged, there are chances of developing blood clots, which is known as thrombophlebitis.
- Occasionally the veins near the skin may burst resulting into bleeding.
Homeopathic Treatment for Varicose Veins
Homeopathic medicines can be used to manage symptoms like cramping, sensation of heaviness and pain in the cases of varicose veins. Treatment by best homeopathy doctor can help the valves of the veins to strengthen and thus reduce the possibility of surgeries.