What is teeth decay?
Cavities and tooth decay are one of the most common health problems in the world. They are common in children, teenagers and older people, but it can happen to anyone at any age, even to infants.
Tooth decay is basically softening of the enamel of the teeth that is caused due to the acids that are formed by the plaque bacterias which are responsible for breaking down sugars in the mouth. If left untreated a cavity or hole may be eventually formed in the tooth, leading to permanent damage of the enamel.
If there happens gum recession and roots of the tooth are exposed, plaque acids can attack the dentin and cause root cavity. As the result, if the nerves of the tooth get exposed, it may cause pain and sensitivity in the tooth.
Maintaining good hygiene and reduction in the regular intake of snacks and sugary foods can protect the tooth from decaying. Along with that homeopathic medicines can work very well in such cases. Consulting homeopathy specialist doctor in the early phase, when symptoms start to appear can protect tooth from decaying further.
There are various factors and steps involved in causing decaying of a tooth. The process starts from de mineralisation of the tooth that progresses further to form cavity at the end.
Majorly tooth cavities are caused due to the the formation of plaques, a sticky substance which is formed due to the combination of bacteria, saliva, acid and food particles, and adheres to the teeth. Eating too much of sugary, sticky foods, beverages causes more amount of acid to be produced and lead to decay of the teeth.
Some common causes that may lead to cavity and teeth decay are-
- Having poor oral hygiene: Improper brushing of teeth causes plaques to get deposited on the teeth, which weaken the tooth enamel.
- Plaque formation: If the plaque keep on building up on the teeth, sugars in the mouth cause plaques to produce acids and attack teeth enamel.
- Plaque bacteria and acids: Bacterias naturally inhabit our mouth. When the carbohydrates are not properly brushed from the teeth, bacterias digest it to produce acids, which again attacks enamel of the tooth.
- Eating and drinking: It is a natural process that keeps us alive, but if the carbohydrates clinging on the teeth are not brushed properly, eventually it will lead to cavities. Thus, after eating foods like sugar contains sodas, dry fruits, hard candy, caramel, cookies, etc, one should never forget to do brushing.
- Dry mouth: Saliva is very helpful in washing away plaques from the mouth. If the person is having dry mouth due to any disease or medical condition, it predisposes to decaying and cavity formation in the tooth.
Signs and Symptoms
Sign and symptoms produced depend upon the stage of the tooth decay and its position. There might not be any symptoms during the initiation of the decay, but as the condition worsens, it may present with symptoms like-
- Tooth sensitivity
- Toothache that happens spontaneously, without any apparent cause
- Mild to sharp pains that happen while eating or drinking anything hot, cold or sugary.
- Presence of black, brown or white staining on the surface of the teeth
- Pain while trying to take a bite
Anyone can have cavities, but some risk factors involved are:
- Eating too much foods that cling to the teeth like milk, honey, sugar, soda, hard candies, cookies, etc.
- Frequent snacking and sipping
- Not maintaining proper oral hygiene
- Not taking enough fluorides, as they help preventing cavities
- Dry mouth
- Heartburn in which stomach acid flows into mouth and cause enamel damage
- Eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia
If left untreated, teeth decay may present with complications like:
- Tooth abscess
- Damaged or broken teeth
- Swelling or pus around the affected tooth
- Difficulty in chewing
More severe forms of decay and cavities may cause
- Weight loss and nutritional deficiencies due to difficult chewing
- Tooth loss
- In rare conditions, tooth abscess, that can lead to life threatening infections
Homeopathic Treatment for Teeth Decay
Homeopathic medicines are very helpful in taking good care of the teeth. The medicines can reduce the sensitivity significantly and reverse the process of decaying.
Though homeopathic medicines can very well treat advanced cases of tooth decay, it is always advised to see the homeopathy specialist doctor in the beginning of the problem only, as it would prevent the disease to progress and save a person to go through painful process of root canal, which is the only way left if the complications develop.