Thyroid and Homeopathy
Thyroid dysfunction or disease is general term used for a group of medical conditions, which interfere with the production of thyroid hormones. Thyroid gland is responsible for the production of thyroid hormones, which are in turn useful and important to carry out various functions and influence almost all the metabolic processes throughout the body. Thyroid diseases cause either over or underproduction of thyroid hormones. Overproduction of thyroid due to any underlying disease results into a condition which is known as hyperthyroidism, and underproduction results into hypothyroidism. The diseases might range from small, harmless goitre to life threatening thyroid cancer.
Thyroid gland is a butterfly shaped small gland located in front of the neck, wrapped around the trachea(wind pipe). Thyroid gland is responsible for production of thyroid hormones, which play a vital role in carrying out various metabolic functions, throughout the body. Any disease related to thyroid gland has influence over almost every part of the body. Mainly there are two important hormones that are produced from the thyroid gland- T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine). The production of these hormones is regulated by pituitary gland, which is a small pea- sized gland, located in the centre of the skull, just below the brain. On sensing the over or underproduction of the thyroid hormones in the bloodstream, pituitary gland produces a hormone, known as TSH(thyroid stimulating gland), which is sent to thyroid gland to regulate the production of thyroid hormones, according to the need of the body, and correct the amount of thyroid hormones in the bloodstream.
Any of the diseases related to thyroid cause either hyper production of thyroid hormones, or hypo production, so let’s take them one by one to understand their causes, symptoms and scope of homeopathy in their treatment.
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
Hypothyroidism, as we have discussed earlier is caused due to underproduction or underactive thyroid gland. The sign and symptoms might go unnoticed in the beginning, but with the condition becoming chronic, there might be development of several health complications in the future.
The sign and symptoms of hypothyroidism depend upon the severity of the hormone deficiency. The development of symptoms happen over a period of time, and in the beginning it may represent as common symptoms like fatigue and becoming overweight, which often get unnoticed. But as the disease causes the metabolism to slow down, the related complications start to occur.
The common sign and symptoms of hypothyroidism include- fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, constipation, dryness of skin, weight gain, puffiness of face, hoarseness of voice and throat, weakness of muscles, elevated blood cholesterol levels, muscle ache with tenderness and stiffness, pain, stiffness with swelling of the joints, abnormal and irregular menstrual periods, with excessive flow, thinning of hair, slowing of heart beat, depression, impaired memory, enlarged thyroid gland.
Hypothyroidism is caused when your thyroid gland is unable to produce enough thyroid hormones. There can be several medical conditions which may result into hypothyroidism. Some are discussed below-
- Hashimoto’s disease: One of the most common cause for hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease, known as Hashimoto’s disease. Autoimmune diseases are the ones in which body’s own immune system start attacking its own body parts, by forming antibodies against them. The exact cause behind this disease is still unknown, but most probably it is caused due to genetic and some environmental factors. The antibodies produced attack the thyroid gland and interfere with the thyroid producing capability of the gland.
- Side effect of hyperthyroidism treatment- People receiving radioactive iodine or anti thyroid medication, as a treatment to hyperthyroidism may sometimes result in so much lowering of thyroid hormones, that patient may end up developing permanent hypothyroidism.
- Thyroid removal- Surgical removal of large part of thyroid gland may result in diminishing the production of thyroid hormones permanently, which may need life long dependency on supplementary thyroid hormones.
- Radiation therapy- Radiation treatment given for cancers of head and neck may affect thyroid gland and result in hypothyroidism.
- Certain medications- Medications containing lithium, which is often used to treat certain psychiatric disorders may have effects on thyroid gland, and cause hypothyroidism.
Less commonly, hypothyroidism may result from congenital defects, where babies are born with defective or no thyroid glands, pituitary disorders, pregnancy, as during pregnancy women often produce antibodies against their on thyroid glands, which when left untreated, increase the risk for miscarriage, premature delivery, and preeclampsia. Deficiency of iodine in certain parts of the world can also cause hypothyroidism, though addition of iodine to table salt has solved this problem to some extent.
Homeopathic Treatment & Medicines for Hypothyroidism
Homeopathy has got wonderful treatment for hypothyroidism. The homeopathic medicines can not only treat the presenting complaints caused due to hypothyroidism, but work on the root cause of the disease to give permanent cure to the patient. The homeopathic medicines are chosen on individualised basis which naturally stimulate the thyroid gland to produce hormones. The commonly prescribed homeopathy medicines include: Calcarea carb, Nux vomica, Sepia, Lycopodium, Graphites etc.
Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
Hyperthyroidism is caused when your thyroid gland produce excess of thyroxine hormone. Hyperthyroidism causes the metabolism to increase and may result into excessive unexplained weight loss and rapid or irregular heartbeats.
The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are very common and mimic other medical conditions, so it becomes really difficult to diagnose. The common symptoms include- unintentional weight loss, though the person eats well, rapid and irregular heart beat, palpitations, increased appetite, nervousness, anxiety and irritability, fine tremors of hands and fingers, sweating, irregularities of periods, increased sensitivity to heat, frequent bowel movements, enlarged thyroid gland (goitre), fatigue with muscle weakness, difficulty in sleep, skin thinning, fine and brittle hair.
Hyperthyroidism may be caused due to number of reasons, like:
- Graves’s disease- This is an autoimmune disorder, in which antibodies produced cause over stimulation of thyroid gland to produce thyroxine. This is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism.
- Toxic Adenoma, toxic multi nodular goitre or Plummer’s disease- One or more adenomas in the thyroid cause hyper production of thyroid hormone. Adenomas are a part of the gland that are actually hyper functioning thyroid nodules, which produce excess hormones.
- Thyroiditis- Sometimes after pregnancy, thyroid glands get enlarged due to some unknown reasons, which cause excess of hormones in the bloodstream. Thyroiditis can be painful or painless.
Homeopathic Treatment & Medicines for Hyperthyroidism
Homeopathy can again be very useful in treating hyperthyroidism. The medicines can naturally help reduce the production of thyroid hormones, along with treating the underlying medical condition. The commonly prescribed homeopathic medicines include- Lodium, Natrum mur, Lachesis, Spongia, Conium, Iodum, etc.
If you are dealing with any of thyroid dysfunctions, due to any underlying medical condition, Avikadoctors is one stop destination for every patient, who seek homeopathic treatment through online homeopathy doctor.
For the patients who seek online homeopathy consultancy, AVI Homeopathy, Jaipur, can prove to be one stop destination for them. AVI Homeopathy give choice to the patients for choosing the mode of consultancy through online chatting, audio call or video conferencing, according to their need.