Homeopathy in Migraine
Migraine is a type of headache which is o3en periodic in nature, which keeps coming back at regular intervals. Migraines can begin at any age but mostly it starts during adolescence and reaches its peak in 30s, a3er that its episodes keep decreasing in later decades. Migraines are o3en hereditary and inherited in generations. Cause of migraine is still unknown and when patients are investigated most of the cases do not show any pathological changes in brain. It is an intensive throbbing kind of a headache which has several triggering and enhancing factors involved with it. This headache is o3en associated with nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light or sound.
It has several triggering factors such as emotional triggers like stress, depression, shock, anxiety, etc and physical factors like insuﬃcient sleep, poor posture, overexertion, sudden change of temperature, being in extremes of temperature, etc.
Symptoms might vary but the most common ones include throbbing in one particular area with varying intensity which is o3en unilateral. Pain might extend to eyes, orbits, face or neck. Headache might be acute with sensitiveness to light and sound. There can be light-headedness, feeling of malaise and tiredness. Almost every episode is followed by nausea and vomiting which sometimes provide a little relief to the patient.
Homeopathy has been seen to do wonders in cases of migraine of all ages. As we know there is no underlying pathology seen conventional medicines do not have any speciﬁc medicine for it except some pain killers which just relax the symptoms without treating the cause.
On the other hand homeopathy works on sign and symptoms provided and does not go by the label of disease. Homeopathy can go into the root cause of the disease and cure it.
There are several medicines that can be used in cases of migraine but a few common ones are discussed below-
- Belladona- It can be thought in throbbing kind of pain with extreme sensitiveness aggravated by light, noise, least
- Natrum Muriaticum- Headache rises from sunrise to sunset especially in school going Headache is semi lateral, with nausea and vomiting.
- Gelsemium- Occipital headache accompanied with vertigo, heaviness of eyelids, muscular discomfort of neck and
- Sanguinaria- Headache is worse on right side, spreading to eyes. Veins and temples seem distended.
- Ignatia-Headache following anger and grief, which becomes worse smoking or smelling tobacco.
- Spigelia- Semi-lateral headache involving the le3 eye. Pains are violent,
- Cimicifuga- Throbbing pains a3er mental worry, over study, or due to uterine
- Glonoinum- Headache is worse from sun and heat around the head. Head feels
Migraine is a type of headache that requires thorough case taking for homeopathic prescription and medicines might have to be continued for a long time to cure a case so self-medication is always prohibited but above mentioned medicines might be useful of transient relief when it is diﬃcult to ﬁnd a doctor like in now a days scenario of lock-down or in emergency.