Homeopathy in Gout
Gout is one of the common types of arthritis, which mostly affects the small joint of big toe, though, it can affect any joint of the body. Other commonly affected joints are ankles, knees, elbows, fingers and wrists. Gout occurs due to accumulation of urate crystals in the joints. Urate crystals are formed due to excess amount of uric acid in the blood.
Uric acid is formed by the breakdown of purines, an organic compound naturally found in body. Purines are also found in foods like seafood, meat, alcoholic beverages (especially beer), drinks sweetened by fruit sugar (fructose) and other protein rich foods.
Sign and symptoms of gout often occur suddenly and mostly at night. Symptoms may occur as sudden intense pain followed by redness, warmth and swelling with marked tenderness of the affected part. Pain can be so severe that even a slight touch is unbearable. Painful attacks of gout usually subside within some hours or days, with or without medication. People having this problem, keep facing repeat episodes of pain time to time. Even when the attack has subsided discomfort in the joints remain for a long time.
People having foods with high purines are at higher risk of suffering from this disease. Men are more prone to gout than women, may be due to having higher levels of uric acid in their blood. Men are also prone to develop disease earlier than females, though after menopause both are equally at risk. Other than that obesity can increase the risk, as when you are overweight, body produces more amount of uric acid, which becomes difficult for kidneys to wash out. Certain medical conditions like hypertension, diabetes, heart and kidney diseases also increase the risk of gout. Gout is also common in people who have a family history of this disease.
Though the disease is episodic and self limiting in time, but it requires medical intervention when symptoms become worse and frequent. Homeopathy doctor plays a vital role in treating gout. Medicines have proved par excellence in not only treating symptoms but also preventing future attacks. Some common medicines that are used for treating this condition are-
- Benzoic acid– This medicine is especially suited for discomfort in knee or big toe joints. Affected joints may have stiffness, swelling and lameness. Symptoms are associated with highly coloured and offensive urine. Symptoms are aggravated in open air and by uncovering of affected parts.
- Urtica urens– This medicine is helpful in removing excess amount of uric acid from the body. Pains are mostly in shoulder, wrist and ankle joints. Symptoms are aggravated from cool moist air, water and touch.
- Colchicum– In this medicine joints like big toe and heels are so sensitive that patient cannot bear it to be touched or moved. Joints are hot and swollen. Symptoms get aggravated in evening or at night.
- Ledum pal– This medicine is useful when gouty pains are present mostly in small joints. Foot and ankle joints are found to be extremely swollen. Symptoms are relieved by cold applications.
- Calcarea fluorica– This remedy is indicated when finger joints become enlarged because of gout. Knees and toes might also get involved. Joints produce cracking sound on movement and become worse during weather changes.