Homeopathy- a good friend for females
Women face so many health issues that are unique and exclusive to them, like different gynaecological diseases, menopause, medical conditions related to pregnancy, breast and cervical cancers, uterine fibroids, and so on. Besides that, women are more prone to have emotional anxieties, phobias, panic attacks, etc.
There is a wide spectrum of health conditions that are only faced by females, affecting them both physically and mentally, like pre menstrual syndrome, perimenopausal syndrome, weight gain and cosmetic changes after pregnancies, etc.
Homeopathy is known for its great effects in all female diseases. They are capable of curing from minor ailments like acne, dysmenorrhea, etc to major diseases like uterine fibroids, infertility, etc. Some female problems that are commonly faced by women and their effective homeopathic medicines are discussed below-
- Complaints related to menstrual flow- Abnormal menstrual flow is one of the major problems faced by women in their day to day life. Some common terminologies related to this are-
* Menorrhagia- It is defined as heavy or prolonged menstrual flow. In some cases cause is not known, but it can be caused due to hormonal imbalances, uterine fibroids, dysfunction of the ovaries, polyps, IUDs, etc. Homoeopathic medicines like- bovista, natrum mur, lachesis, etc. can be used in such cases.
* Metrorrhagia- It is an abnormal bleeding at irregular intervals between periods. The underlying causes may be due to endometriosis, uterine bleeding, hormone imbalances, or less commonly due to underlying cancers. Most often used homeopathic medicines are- veratrum, sepia, natrum mur, etc.
* Oligomenorrhoea and Amenorrhea – Oligomenorrhoea is scanty menstrual flow while amenorrhea means complete absence of menstruation. Some common underlying reasons could be prolactinomas, thyroid dysfunctions, hormonal changes, etc. Medicines like pulsatilla, gossypium, jonesia ashoka, etc prove helpful in these cases.
- Perimenopausal syndrome- This is faced by women mostly in their 40s to 50s, when oestrogen level begins to fall, till the time of menopause. PMS on average lasts for about 4 years but may range from some months to even 10 years. During this time women may have symptoms like hot flashes, irregular periods, vaginal dryness, lower sex drive, mood swings, etc. Some common homeopathic medicines useful in such conditions are- lachesis, caulophyllum, sulphur, murex, ignatia, etc.
- Uterine fibroids- They are benign tumours that mostly occur during the child bearing age. Uterine fibroids do not have tendency to change into cancers. They can range in size from a small seedling to as big as reaching the rib cage. Fibroid can be single or multiple. Symptoms produced by fibroids depend upon size, number and location. Most of them are symptomless, but some may produce symptoms like heavy menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain and pressure, frequent urination, etc. Homoeopathic medicines like thuja, sabina, secale cor, calcarea fluorica, etc can be used in these conditions.
- Leucorrhoea- Every woman has vaginal discharge, which is white and odourless. These discharges are natural functions of the body to maintain vaginal hygiene and protect it from micro organisms. Sometimes due to infections, colour, amount and odour of these discharges change, which is known as leucorrhoea. Leucorrhoea is common in pregnancy, adolescent girls and new born infants. Homoeopathic medicines are prescribed according to the characteristics of leucorrhoea present in an individual. Some common ones used are- borax, kreosote, sepia, hydrastis, etc.
- Pregnancy issues- There can be several issues during pregnancy, some are physiological, while others can be medical emergencies. Except emergencies, almost all other pregnancy issues can be managed with help of homeopathy, like medicines that can prevent miscarriages are- cimicifuga, sabina, secale cor, viburnum, etc. Medicines for morning nausea- sepia, nux vomica, acetic acid, etc. Medicines for constipation during pregnancy-collinsonia, aesculus, etc. Any ailment related to pregnancy can be named and there are list of medicines available that can manage them.