What is urticaria?
Urticaria is also known as hives, welts, weals or nettle rash. It is an outbreak of red, itchy, swollen bumps on the skin, most probably caused as an allergic reaction to some allergen. The factors or things that cause allergy are known as allergens. This is a non contagious condition.
Urticaria can appear on any part of the body, including face, throat, lips, ears and tongue. The rashes may vary from the the size of a pin point to as large as diner plates. They may last from a few hours to a full day, but it mostly subsided within 24hrs.
When the body reacts to any allergen, it releases a protein called histamine. Histamine causes a fluid leak from the capillaries under the tissues resulting in small raised bumps or rashes on the skin. Sometimes these rashes coalesce together to form large patches, known as plaques.
If there are repeated and frequent episodes of urticaria for more than six weeks and there are continued recurrences for months and years, they are considered as chronic urticaria. It is an irritating condition and interferes with person’s day to day activities and sleep.
Homeopathy doctor for skin disease can give full relief from urticaria. Homeopathic medicines are very effective in treating the underlying cause of the disease and reduce the allergic tendencies in the body.
Urticaria appears due to the allergic reactions, in which histamine produced in the body causes red, raised bumps on the skin. Any specific cause of urticaria is still unknown, but there are some triggering factors that have been known to excite allergic reactions like:
- Medications such as some antibiotics, NSAIDs, like aspirin and ACE inhibitors, used in hypertension
- Some foods, such as nuts, eggs, wheat products, strawberries, etc
- Infections, like common flu, influenza, hepatitis B
- Bacterial infections like UTI and strep throat
- Extreme temperature changes
- Intestinal parasites
- Pet dander
- Some plants, like nettles, poison ivy, etc
- Insect bites
- Some chemicals
- Scratching, etc
Signs and Symptoms
Sign and symptoms of urticaria may present as
- Red, itchy, swollen wheals, which can appear on any part of the body
- Rashes that appear and fade repeatedly and vary in size and shape
- Severe itching
- Sign and symptoms appear on exposure to any triggering factor like exercise, stress, after consuming certain foods, etc
- Symptoms may keep repeating itself over weeks and months, without any predictions
Types of urticaria
There can be several types of urticaria, some important ones are:
- Acute urticaria- Urticaria lasting less than 6 weeks come under acute urticaria. They commonly appear due to certain medications, some foods, infections or insect bites.
- Chronic urticaria and angioedema- Urticarias that last more than 6 weeks come under this category. The reasons that cause chronic urticaria are still not clear, but some triggering factors that may result into this condition are thyroid diseases, hepatitis, infections or cancer.
- Physical urticaria- In this type, urticaria is caused due to direct contact of the triggering factors with the skin. The possible causes may be exposure to heat, sun, vibrations, pressure, sweat, exercise, etc.
- Dermatographism- It is a form of physical urticaria, where rashes are formed due to firmly stroking or scratching the skin.
Doctor will take the full medical history of the patient and look for the possible triggering factors that might be result into symptoms of urticaria. As there are no specific tests to confirm the diagnosis, doctor will go through thorough physical examination and medical history to confirm the cause.
Doctor may also suggest some tests to confirm with what things and substances a person is allergic.
Homeopathic Treatment for Urticaria
Homeopathy provides very effective and permanent treatment for urticaria. Homeopathic medicines reduce the allergic tendencies of the body and boost immune system. No matter, whatever be the cause or type of urticaria, best homeopathy doctor for skin diseases can treat it from the roots and provide permanent solution to this problem.
Some general medicines for urticaria are- apis mellifica, natrum mur, rhus tox, bovista, urtica urens, etc.