What is urinary incontinence?
When urinary bladder gets filled up with urine, there are nerves that send signals from bladder to the brain and produce a urge for passing urine. Normally a person can control urine for a while, before passing it in the toilet. This is because people have control over their urinary sphincters and it relaxes as per will of the person.
Urine incontinence is uncontrollable leakage of urine due to problem in bladder or urinary sphincter. The person does not have control over his sphincters and the urine passes involuntarily, which may sometimes cause social embarrassments.
Urinary incontinence is a common problem, but women are more prone to develop this condition as compared to men. The severity of symptoms ranges from occasional leakage of urine, like while coughing or sneezing, to such urgencies that it becomes impossible to control urination and it automatically flows out, and do not give time to reach the toilet.
Homeopathy provides permanent solution to the problem of urinary incontinence. Patients who face this problem can get cured after consulting the best homeo clinic in their locality and escape the embarrassments that this disorder may sometimes cause.
Urinary incontinence is a symptom, which might happen due to various factors that increase the urinary output. Some foods, drinks and medications act as diuretics and may result into milder forms of incontinence. Some common diuretics are:
- Citrus fruits
- Artificial sweeteners
- Carbonated drinks
- Chili peppers
- Heart and blood pressure medications
- Muscle relaxants
- Over doses of vit C
Some underlying pathology or other conditions may cause permanent urinary incontinence, like
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy and extra pressure on bladder
- Childbirth via vaginal delivery may cause weakening of the sphincter muscle and sometimes damage to the nerves of the bladder that carry signals from the bladder.
- As the person becomes older, muscles of the bladder also become weak and may result into incontinence
- After menopause, the tissues in the bladder and urethra deteriorate and thus result in incontinence
- Any surgery that involves reproductive organs of the woman’s body can damage pelvic muscles and lead to such problems
- Enlarged prostate in men of older ages can put extra pressure and result in such conditions
- Any tumour or stone in the urinary passage that cause obstruction can also result into urinary incontinence
- Diseases like Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, etc can damage the nerves of the bladder and lead to incontinence
Signs and Symptoms
All urinary incontinences are not permanent problems. They may be transient and caused due to temporary conditions like consumption of diuretics and some vaginal infections. Temporary incontinence is relieved, when these factors are removed or the medical condition is treated.
Sign and symptoms depends upon the type of urinary incontinence a person is facing like:
- Stress incontinence- leakage happens due to the pressure on bladder like while coughing, sneezing, etc
- Urge incontinence- it is caused by medical conditions like infections and neurological disorders or diabetes, in which the urge to pass the urine is very intense and followed by involuntary leakage.
- Overflow incontinence- This happens when the bladder does not get evacuated fully, leading to constant dribbling of urine
- Functional incontinence- This happens when the person is suffering from any physical or mental disability or disease, which do not allow to make it to the toilet in time
- Mixed incontinence- when a person faces more than one type of incontinence
Diagnosis and treatment depends upon the type of incontinence with which the person is suffering. After doing careful physical examination, doctor may ask the patient to get some tests done, like
- Urinalysis to check the infections, traces of blood and other abnormalities
- To maintain bladder diary for several days to know the amount of water intake and pattern of urge and urination
- Post- void residual measurement, in which the doctor checks if any urine is left in the bladder, after urinating
Homeopathic Treatment for Urinary Incontinence
Homeopathy in the cases of urinary incontinence not only treat the symptoms, but also help in strengthening the muscles of the bladder and increase the control over sphincter muscle.
Patient may visit the best homeo clinic to get the individualised medicines on the basis of their symptom totality, which can improve their symptoms, as well as treat the underlying cause.
Some commonly used homeopathic medicines for this condition are causticum, equisetum, kreosotum, lycopodium, sarsaparilla, etc.