What is tinnitus?
Tinnitus is a medical term used for “ringing in the ears”. It is the sensation of hearing sounds like ringing, buzzing, chirping, whistling, and other kids of sounds which may be transient or may continue for longer periods of time. These sounds are heard, without any external source of sounds.
Tinnitus isn’t a disease in itself, but a symptom of some underlying medical conditions. Usually it is not a manifestation of any serious condition, but it can be irritating and frustrating and start interfering in hearing real normal sounds. Tinnitus can happen in one or both the ears, and affect people of all ages. But the condition is more common in old age and worsens with the advancing age.
For some people, it may become the reason of insomnia, poor work performances, difficulty in concentration, anxiety, irritability and depression.
Homeopathic doctors from best homeopathy clinic can not only provide relief in the physical symptoms of the disease, but also provide relief in the mental troubles that tinnitus brings with it, and improve the quality of life of a person.
Types of tinnitus
Tinnitus could be of two types-
- Objective tinnitus- In objective type of tinnitus, the sounds produced can be heard by both the patient and the people around him. It is a rare kind of tinnitus and usually happens due to abnormal blood vessels in and around the ears. During heart beats, a distinct pulsating sound can be heard by the person and the people around him.
- Subjective tinnitus- It is a much more common type of tinnitus, in which the patient suffering from it is only able to hear the whistling and ringing in the ears.
Sound waves are picked up by the middle ear and the internal ears conduct them into electrical signals that are picked by the brain and translate them into sounds that we hear. Any damage in the middle or internal ears can interfere with the transmission and translation of sound waves resulting into altered perception of sound in the form of tinnitus.
Some common causes of tinnitus may be-
- Hearing worsens with advancing age, and hearing loss Mai result into tinnitus
- Short term exposure to loud music may produce transient tinnitus. Long exposure to loud sounds from MP3 players, iPods may result into permanent damage in the ears and result into tinnitus. Sudden exposure to loud sounds like firearms can also lead to hearing loss and tinnitus.
- Osteosclerosis in the bones of the middle ear can also affect hearing and cause tinnitus
- Earwax protects ear by trapping dust and reducing the growth of bacterias, but too much accumulation of earwax is difficult to be naturally washed away and may interfere with hearing and cause tinnitus.
Other medical causes of tinnitus may include-
- Meniere’s disease
- Head or neck injuries
- Acoustic neuroma
- Eustachian tube dysfunction
- Temoporomandibular joint disorders
- Muscle spasm in the inner ear
- Hand and neck tumours
- Turbulent blood flow
- Malformation of capillaries
Some medications can also cause or worsen tinnitus. Usually the symptoms disappear when the drug is discontinued. These medicines include-
- Some antibiotics
- Cancer medications
- Diuretic pills
- Quinine medicines for malaria
- Certain antidepressants
- Aspirin, etc
Some common factors which predispose a person to developing tinnitus are-
- Exposure to loud sound, that may be sudden or long term
- Advancing age
- Men are more prone to develop tinnitus
- Smoking increase the risk of developing tinnitus
- Cardiovascular diseases that affect the blood flow like hypertension and atherosclerosis also increase the risk
Tinnitus as such is not a very serious condition, but it can adversely affect the quality of life of a person by making him experience-
- Disturbances in sleep
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Memory loss
- Anxiety and irritability
Homoeopathy has an individualised and holistic approach towards the treatment of tinnitus, as we know that tinnitus is not a disease itself but a symptom to the underlying medical condition. Taking the holistic approach, doctor of best homeopathy clinic with proper case taking and choosing medicine according to the physical, mental and emotional symptoms of the patient can cure the disease from its roots.
Homeopathy not only cures the symptoms and the underlying disease, but also treat the accessory mental symptoms like depression, irritability and anxiety that it brings with it.