Tinea is the name given to a group of fungal diseases, that include diseases like ringworm, athlete’s foot, pityriasis and jock itch. Though, any of these diseases is not life threatening, yet they are highly contagious and cause lot of discomfort. They are easily transmitted by touching any infected person, from damp surfaces and even from pets, if they are already infected.
Homoepathic treatment in these diseases is very effective and useful. This is the only way of treatment in which one can permanently get rid of the diseases like tinea, until one looks for the homoeopathy specialist doctor for such conditions.
Types of tinea infections
- Ringworm of the body- Ringworm is also known as dermatophyte infection or dermatophytosis. The name ringworm of this disease is a misnomer, as it has nothing to do with worms. It is caused by a fungus called tinea corporis. The disease gets its name from the ring or worm like rashes that it produces on the skin. There is usually a red, itchy, circular patch with a clearer skin in the middle. This is highly contagious and easily spreads from skin to skin direct contact.
Sign and symptoms
- Presence of ring shaped rashes on the skin, especially on buttocks, trunk, arms and legs
- The rings are slightly raised and are slowly expanding
- Itching around and in the region of rashes
- There is presence of a clearer area in the centre of the lesion
- Overlapping rings, etc.
These are highly contagious mould like parasites that live on the dead cells of the skin and may be transmitted by
- Human to human transmission through direct contact with the affected person
- Animal to human transmission, as it is very common in pets also
- Object to human transmission is also possible if the person comes in contact with the objects that are recently touched by the infected person like towels, combs, clothing, etc.
- Soil to human transmission is rare, but can happen if the person remains in contact with the infected soil for long period.
Children are more susceptible and prone of getting infected, but it is said that almost 10-15% of population will develop any fungal infection at some point in their lives.
There are several risk factors which predispose a person in getting infected such as
- Having close contact with the infected person or animal
- Living in damp, warm humid areas
- Sharing clothing, bedding and towels with the infected person
- Excessive sweating
- Participating in contact sports like wrestling
- Wearing tight clothing
- Having weak immune system
- Athlete’ foot- This is caused by tinea pedis. It is the ringworm that happens in between the toes, though, may spread to the toenails and hands also. As the name suggests it is most common in athletes. It is very contagious and the means of spread and the symptoms are very much similar to tinea corporis.
- Jock itch- This infection is caused by tinea cruris. It happens on the warm and moist areas of the body and is common on groins and inner thighs. They are mostly caused in people who wear tight, occlusive clothes and undergarments, which trap sweat and in people who are overweight. Symptoms are almost same as the ringworm, though sometimes burning sensation is also present with itching. The rash may begin in a form of crescent but eventually becomes ring shaped and is sometimes referred to as ringworm of the groins.
- Pityriasis versicolor- This is a common name for tinea versicolor, which is a fungus responsible for interfering with the normal pigmentation of the skin resulting into small discoloured patches, that commonly affects trunk and shoulders.
- dark and light patches on the skin predominantly present on chest, neck and upper arms
- Scaling of the patches
- Mild itching
Tinea versicolor is a normal inhabitant of the skin. It causes trouble only when it starts to overgrow on the skin. Triggering factors may include-
- Oily skin
- Hot, damp weather
- Hormonal changes
- Weakened immune system
Homeopathy provides very effective and permanent solutions in any of the diseases caused by tinea. Though, ringworms are a stubborn infection they can be treated with the help of homeopathy. Homeopathy specialist doctor can help reduce the chances of recurrences of the infection, which is very common in case of tinea. Homeopathic medicines can also reduce the tendency and susceptibility of the body towards such infections.
Some commonly used homeopathic medicines for the treatment of tinea are rhus tox, graphites, psorinum, sulphur, etc.