What is tennis elbow?
Tennis elbow, medically known as lateral epicondylitis is a painful condition, that develops due to the weakening and over stressing of the tendons that join forearm muscles to the bones. It usually develops because of overwork of the elbow due to repeated motion of wrists and arms. The pain is felt while straightening or fully extending the arms. Pain can extend to forearms and wrist also.
Despite of the name, only 5% of the tennis players develop this condition. People who are in the jobs like plumbing, painting, carpentry and butchery, where similar movements of the hand is required can also develop this condition.
Though, it is a treatable condition, yet it requires regular pain managements with time and rest to heal. In worst cases, if the treatment and rest do not give relief, surgery might be suggested to cure the condition.
Homeopathic treatment is best in the cases of tennis elbow. AVI homeopathy clinic can provide rapid relief in pain and stiffness, with complete cure of the condition.
Tendons attach muscles to the bones. In tennis elbow, due to overwork and stress, it results into continuous tiny tears in the tendons that attach forearm muscles to the bony prominence at the outside of the elbow, which result into inflammation and pain in the movement of the arms. In tennis elbow, specifically the extensor carpi radialis brevis muscle of the forearm is damaged, which helps in the extension of the wrist.
The name, tennis elbow was given as it develops due to repeatedly using the backhand stroke during the game, with poor technique. However tennis elbow, can be triggered in several other activities that involve repetitive movement of the wrists, like-
- Turning a key
- Driving screws
- Using computer mouse
- Frequent use of screwdrivers, hammers
- Cutting meat
Signs and symptoms
Symptoms of tennis elbow may include-
- Elbow pain, that gets worst with time
- Extending pain from outside of the elbow to the forearm and wrist
- Aggravation in pain while shaking hands or squeezing anything
- Weakened grip
- Pain while lifting anything
- Pain while using tools and opening the jars
- Pain while turning a door knob
- Difficulty in holding a coffee mug
Risk factors that may cause tennis elbow include-
- Though, tennis elbow can affect anyone, it is most commonly seen in people between the age groups of 30 to 50 years.
- People doing jobs that involve continuous repetitive motions of wrist and arm, like plumbers, painters, butchers, carpenters, etc.
- Athletes involved in sports that require playing with rackets, especially the ones who have poor technique for backhand stroke.
In most of the cases, the medical history and physical symptoms are enough to diagnose the case of tennis elbow.
For physical examination, doctor may apply pressure on the affected area, and ask the patient to turn his wrists, elbow and arms in various directions to investigate the symptoms, nature of pain and inflammation.
If still the doctor suspects that the symptoms are caused due to any other reason, he may suggest to go for some other investigations like X-ray and other imaging tests to confirm the diagnosis.
Homeopathic treatment in cases of tennis elbow is highly recommended. The homeopathic medicines are very much capable in reducing pain and stiffness in the movement of the elbow and arms in a very natural way, without going through any painful invasive procedures.
AVI homeopathy is the best homeopathy clinic in Jaipur that provides a complete solution of this medical condition, in most natural, gentle and rapid way.