What is rosacea?
Rosacea is a chronic inflammatory skin condition with redness and visible blood vessels on the face. The main symptom of rosacea is the formation of small, red, pus filled bumps on the skin, when the disease flares up. The sign and symptoms of rosacea flare up periodically. They may aggravate for some weeks or months and then go away for a while. It is often mistaken for other similar skin conditions like acne, eczema or skin allergy.
Rosacea is more common in fair skinned people, that typically affects skin of nose, cheeks and forehead. It can affect anyone, but is more commonly seen in middle aged women who have fair skin.
There are four subtypes known of rosacea, and all subtypes show their own set of symptoms. A person may be suffering from more than one subtype at a time.
It is a difficult condition to cure and conventional medicine do not have any promising treatment for this skin disease. However, homeopathy can prove to be very useful in this case. Treatment from best homeopathy doctor for skin diseases can not only cure the symptoms, but also reduce tendency for its recurrences.
The cause of rosacea is still unknown. It is believed to be caused due to combination of genetic and environmental factors. There are also certain conditions which have been known to aggravate the symptoms. Some of them are listed below-
- Consuming very hot coffee or tea
- Eating too spicy foods
- Consuming lots amount of red wine and other alcoholic beverages
- Eating food item containing cinnamaldehyde, like cinnamon, chocolate, tomatoes and citrus fruits
- Exposure to temperature extremes
- Having helicobacter pylorie bacterias in intestines
- Long exposure to sunlight and wind
- Skin mites that have bacteria Bacillus oleronius
- Exercise and emotions
- Some cosmetic products
- Medications that cause dilatation of blood vessels like medicines for hypertension
Signs and symptoms
Rosacea may exhibit sign and symptoms like-
- Facial redness, that is persistent around nose, cheeks and forehead. The small blood vessels of the face may swell up and become visible under the skin of the face.
- There develops small pimples on the face that resemble acne. The bumps may become pustular and the skin around them may seem hot and tender.
- People with rosacea may also suffer with dry, red, swollen eyes and eyelids, which may cause lot of irritation. Sometimes eye symptoms precede skin symptoms and is known as ocular rosacea.
- Persistent symptoms around the nose for long periods may cause the nose to become thicken and appear bulbous. This condition is more common in men as compared to women.
Anyone at any age can develop rosacea, still some factors that may increase the risk are-
- People who are above the age 30
- Middle aged females are more prone
- People having light skin
- People having family history of rosacea are more at risk
If the condition stays for long, the sebaceous glands around the nose become enlarged, causing thickening of the tissues around the nose. This results in nose to become enlarged and bulbous giving rise to condition known as rhinophyma. This condition is more common in women as compared to men.
There are no specific tests to diagnose rosacea. Doctor will carefully look into the medical history to confirm the diagnosis. He may ask questions and physically examine the signs to rule out the conditions like psoriasis, eczema, etc, which have similar symptoms like rosacea.
Homeopathic Treatment for Rosacea
Though conventional medicine do not have any specific treatment for this condition, homeopathy can give permanent solutions for rosacea. Seeking treatment from the best homeopathy doctor for skin diseases can not only treat the symptoms with its underlying cause, but also reduce the tendency of its recurrence.