What is prostatitis?
Prostate is small, walnut sized gland of the male reproductive system, which is located below the bladder and in front of the rectum. The main function of the prostate gland is to produce seminal fluid, that nourishes the sperms and allow them to travel freely through the urethra. Prostatitis is the swelling and inflammation of the prostate gland.
Prostatitis can happen to any man at any age. However, it is most common in men abound 50 years of age or younger. There are varying causes of prostatitis. The onset and progress of the disease depend upon the underlying cause of the condition. It may get quickly treated or last for months and years, recurring again and again even after treatment.
Conventional methods of medicine do not have any specific treatment for prostatitis , except surgeries in more severe cases. However, prostatitis can be very well managed with the help of homeopathy and save the patient from the hazards and pain of surgeries. The homeopathy specialist doctor can not only help in managing the symptoms of the case, but also reduce swelling and chances of recurrence.
The reasons for developing prostatitis are not very clear. However, bacterial prostatitis may be caused due to bacterial infection in the prostate due to backflow of the infected urine from the urethra. Bacterias can be found in the urine, prostatic fluid or blood when investigated. This usually causes acute bacterial prostatitis.
Non bacterial prostatitis can be caused due to nerve inflammation, injuries, previous urinary tract infections, or stress. Non bacterial prostatitis do not show bacterias in the urine, prostatic fluid or blood samples.
Sign and symptoms produced depend upon the cause of the condition. Some of them include-
- Pain and burning sensation while urinating
- Difficulty in urination
- Dribbling or hesitation while passing urine
- Increase frequency of urination, especially at night
- Urgency for urinating
- Cloudy urine
- Blood in urine
- Pain or discomfort in penis or testicles
- Pain in abdomen, groin or lower back
- Pain in perineum
- Painful ejaculation
- Bacterial prostatitis may present with flu like symptoms
Factors that increase the risk of prostatitis include-
- Having infection in the bladder or urethra
- Men who are young or middle aged are more at risk
- Pelvic trauma, such as injuries from bicycles or horseback riding
- Men who had prostatitis in the past
- Continued use of urinary catheter
- Having had a prostatic biopsy
- Immunocompromised patients like those having AIDS or HIV
Complications of prostatitis may include-
- Inflammation of epididymis
- Bacterial infection of the blood in case of bacterial prostatitis
- Prostatic abscess in the prostate
- Painful ejaculation
- Disturbed sleep due to frequency and urgency for urinating
- Chronic prostatitis may lead to abnormalities in the semen, eventually leading to infertility
There can be several reasons for abdominal and pelvic pain. Doctor will carefully take the medically history and examine the patient to rule out the different causes that may have produced the symptoms. The physical examination will most probably include digital rectal examination to diagnose prostatitis.
Doctor will suggest for a few laboratory tests to confirm the diagnosis, like-
- Urine test to look for the presence of any infection or bacterias in the sample.
- Blood tests to again know the presence of infection and other prostate problems
- Rarely the doctor may massage the prostate gland to test the secretions, which is known as post prostatic massage.
- Imaging tests like ultrasonography or CT scan to know the condition of the prostate
Homeopathic Treatment for Prostatitis
Homeopathic treatment is very effective for prostatitis. Homeopathic medicines naturally treat the symptoms produced due to prostatitis and effectively reduce the swelling.
The homeopathy specialist doctor will prescribe the medicines that will go into the root cause of the disease and treat it permanently.