What is pneumonia?
Pneumonia is a lung infection which can be mild or cause life threatening complications. Pneumonia may be caused by various microorganisms, but most commonly it happens due to bacteria, viruses and fungi. If it happens due to bacteria or viruses, it can be a very contagious condition, spreading through droplets produced during a sneeze or coughing. It can also be spread by coming in contact with the surface which has the droplets from the infected person.
In pneumonia, the air sacs called alveoli are filled up with fluid or pus, making it difficult for a person to breathe, as the surface area for the exchange of oxygen is reduced due to fluids, resulting into low amount of oxygen being transferred into the bloodstream. Pneumonia can affect one or both lungs together at the same time.
Anyone can develop pneumonia, but children below 2 years and people above 65 years are more at risk of developing it. This may be due to the weak immune system during these phases of life.
Best homeopathy doctor can give quick symptomatic relief in the patients of pneumonia. Homeopathic medicines can cure the underlying cause of pneumonia and give permanent relief from the problem.
Classification and cause of pneumonia is made on the basis of type of germs that cause it and the source of infection.
- Community acquired pneumonia- This is the most common type and are acquired outside of hospitals and other health care facilities. They are caused by
- Bacterias- Streptococcus pneumoniae is the most common type of bacteria that causes pneumonia. They may occur of it’s own or after a normal flu.
- Mycoplasma- Pneumonia caused by Mycoplasma pnumoniae is usually a very mild infection. It does not show any significant symptom, thus a person not may even know that he is infected, because of which it is also known as “walking pneumonia”.
- Fungi- The fungi that cause pneumonia are found in soil and bird droppings, varying greatly with geographical locations. They mostly affect people who are already suffering from any chronic illnesses, having weakened immune system or due to inhaling of very large numbers of the microorganism.
- Viruses- Pneumonia caused by viruses are usually mild but sometimes may lead to pneumonia. Children below 5 years of age usually suffer from it. COVID 19 also causes normal flu like symptoms but it may progress to pneumonia, which sometimes become severe.
- Hospital acquired pneumonia- They are acquired during a visit or stay at the hospital. This may cause a more serious forms of pneumonia, because microorganism causing it may be resistant to antibiotics and other medications because people acquiring this type of pneumonia are already sick.
- Health care-acquired pneumonia- It’s a bacterial pneumonia, which affects people who have to stay at a health care facility for a longer periods of time, like patients who are in dialysis centres. Like hospital acquired, this type of pneumonia can also be more resistant to antibiotics.
- Aspiration pneumonia- This type of pneumonia happens when a person inhale drink, food, saliva or vomit into the lungs. This may happen due to abnormal gag reflexes or swallowing problems.
Sign and symptoms
Pneumonia symptoms can vary greatly, depending upon the the form and severity of pneumonia. They may commonly include-
- Coughing, with production of phlegm
- Shortness of breadth with even mild activities or during rest
- Chest pain, that worsens while cough or breathe
- Chills or sweating
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
Doctor will take proper medical history and do physical examinations, including checking lungs with a stethoscope to listen any bubbling, crackling, or dulness, that may suggest for pneumonia. If the doctor suspects pneumonia, he may suggest some tests to confirm, like blood tests, chest x-ray, pulse oximetry, sputum test, etc.
Patients who are elderly and in the hospital or have very serious illness may be advised for additional tests like- CT scan and pleural fluid culture.
Homeopathic treatment can provide quick and effective treatments in the case of pneumonia. Best homeopathy doctor will carefully select the medicine in pneumonia upon the individual presenting symptoms.
Homeopathic medicines can give quick symptomatic relief to the patient and reduce inflammation within the lungs to reduce the fluid production. Thus help in increasing the oxygen concentration in blood and reduce respiratory troubles.