What is IBS?
IBS is also known as spastic colon, irritable colon, mucous colitis and spastic colitis. It is a common disorder that affects the large intestine. Sign and symptoms produced by it vary from person to person in duration and severity. IBS does not increase risk to colorectal cancer but in long term it does change the way you live. Most people can keep it in control by making little changes in diet and lifestyle, but if the symptoms are severe and uncontrollable, medical intervention might be required.
Individualised homoepathic medicine acts best in such cases. Patients can look for the best homeopathy clinic as per their choice to get the most effective and permanent solution for this problem.
Sign and symptoms
People suffering from IBS may have symptoms like
- diarrhoea(there can be violent episodes)
- diarrhoea alternating with constipation
- spasmodic colic in lower abdomen (that might increase after meals and subside after passing motions)
- mucous in stools
- Some people may also experience urinary or sexual problems.
Most people experience that IBS complaints are episodic, meaning, there are times when the symptoms are worse, and there are times when they improve or disappear completely. If symptoms are not controlled by diet and lifestyle changes, and become serious, they can lead to weight loss, severe violent diarrhoea at night, rectal bleeding, persistent painful bloating, iron deficiency anaemia, difficult swallowing, etc.
Types of IBS
We can categories IBS into four types-
1.IBS with diarrhoea
2.IBS with constipation
3.IBS with alternating pattern of diarrhoea and constipation
4.People who do not fit in any of these 3 categories are put in unsubtyped IBS.
Exact cause of IBS is unknown, but some probable causes can be-
- Abnormal muscular contractions which are strong and longer in duration than normal can cause bloating , diarrhoea etc. And if these contractions are weaker than normal it can lead to sluggish bowel movements which can cause constipation.
- Lack of coordination between brain and nerves of intestine may lead to abnormal reactions to normal digestive processes that again can lead to pain and discomfort in lower abdomen with diarrhoea.
- Sometimes there is inflammation in the intestines, which is responsible for symptoms like pain and discomfort.
- IBS can develop after serious infections like violent episode of inflammatory diarrhoea, or due to bacterial overgrowth in the intestines.
* Microflora are the group of “good bacterias” found in intestine, these are very important to keep body in healthy state. It has been found that these bacterias differ in people with IBS from people who are healthy.
What factors trigger IBS is still not understood well, but some foods like dairy products, citrus fruits, bean, cabbage etc have been known to make symptoms worse. Other than this, stress is also known to aggravate symptoms. IBS is more common in women than men and women experience aggravation in symptoms mostly during their menses, so it is considered related to hormones also.
There are no specific tests to diagnose IBS. Doctor may need to take a detailed medical history, with physical examination and tests to rule out other medical conditions like:
- Lactose intolerance, which is mostly treated as the case of coeliac disease
- Routine medications like hypertension pills and certain antacids
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Pathology in pancreas, leading to low enzyme activity to properly digest food
- Infection, etc.
Doctor may suggest to undergo certain tests to confirm the diagnosis, like x-rays, blood tests, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy, stool tests, test for lactogen intolerance, etc.
Homoeopathy can do wonders in the cases of IBS. Homeopathic medicines are given on the basis of symptom similarity after doing detailed study of physical, mental and emotional symptoms of the patient. Individualised medicines given on this basis go deep inside the tissues to cure the root cause of the disease. Patients suffering from symptoms of IBS should look for best homeopathy clinic to consult for their condition and get treated in the most natural and harmless way.
Constitutional homeopathic medicines are also very effective in removing tendencies from the body which is most common cause for IBS. Some commonly used homeopathic medicines on therapeutic basis for IBS are- lycopodium, colocynth, nux vomica, sulphur, etc.