What is Headache?
Headache or head pain is a very common condition that causes pain and discomfort in the head, scalp or neck region of the body. According to a survey it is estimated that about 7 out of 10 people face headache every year. Thr symptoms of headache can be sometimes difficult to describe, but it usually accompany throbbing, squeezing, constant pain, or pulsating sensation. The pain may involve whole or one side of the head along with the face.
Headache may be caused by emotional factors like stress, depression, anxiety, or underlying medical conditions, like migraine, high blood pressure, etc, or physical reasons like injury, bad environmental, like weather. Headaches may be acute or chronic in nature depending upon the underlying cause.
There are basically three types of headache-
- Primary headaches- These headaches are caused due to problem involving the structures of the neck and head.
- Secondary headaches- These headaches are caused due to any underlying medical condition.
- Cranial neuralgias, facial pain and other headaches
Primary causes of headache
These type of headaches are not caused due to any underlying medical conditions, but are produced due to factors directly involving the brain. The most common types of primary headaches are migraine, cluster headaches and tension headache.
Secondary causes of headache
These happen due to some underlying medical conditions and include headaches due to brain tumour or brain aneurysm, cervicogenic headaches, medication overuse headaches, meningitis related headache, post-traumatic headache, sinus headaches, spinal headache, etc.
Types of Headaches
- Tension headache- This is the most common type of primary headache which often affect the women above 20 years of age. They usually happen due to poor posture and stress, which causes tightening of the muscles around the head.
- Cluster headaches- This type of headache generally affects men between the ages of 20 and 40 years. This headache causes severe excruciating pain on the one side of the head or behind the eyes. The time period for which this headache happens is typically known as cluster period, which may last for about 6 weeks.
- Migraine headaches- These are chronic type of headaches, whose symptoms may occur for 15 days or more in a month. The pain is usually one sided and described as throbbing or pounding pain.
- Rebound headaches- This headache occurs when the person already on regular medications for headache, stops taking it.
- Thunderclap headache- These headaches come on abruptly and suddenly with severe pain in the head. They may last for about 5 minutes and point towards any underlying problem with the blood vessels, which should be addressed as soon as possible.
Signs & Symptoms
Headaches may be associated with symptoms like-
- Photophobia, which causes pain in the eyes while looking at a bright light
- Tenderness of the scalp
- Sensation of tightness in the head
Doctor will take detailed medical history and physical symptoms experienced during a headache. Most of the time no tests are not required to make diagnosis, but sometimes doctor may suggest CT scan or MRI if he suspects any underlying medical condition.
Homeopathic Treatment of Headache
Homeopathic medicines can very well treat any kind of headache, unless they are happening due to any functional changes. Homeopathy can significantly reduce the number of episodes or frequency of headaches, and treat the condition from the roots. The medicines are also capable of giving instant relief in the pain and other associated symptoms if the homeopathic medicine is given during the headaches.
In the case of chronic headaches, individualised medicine is the choice of treatment by most of the homeopathic physicians. Acute cases can be treated with therapeutic medicines, prescribed on the basis of causing factor of the headache. Individualised homeopathic medicine can go deep in the cause of the pain and give permanent cure from the symptoms.
AVI homeopathy provides best treatment in the cases of migraine, cluster headaches and almost all the types of headache to its patients.