What is GERD?
Gastroesophageal reflux or acid regurgitation is a digestive tract disorder, in which the stomach acid frequently flows back into the oesophagus, which is the tube connecting the mouth with the stomach. The disease affects the lower oesophageal sphincter, which opens when the food enters the stomach from the mouth, and do not allow the back flow of the contents of the stomach into the oesophagus. Sometimes this sphincter becomes loose allowing the stomach acid to flow back into oesophagus, irritating the lining of the oesophagus.
If the patient develops episodes of mild acid reflux twice a week or moderate to severe acid reflux at least once a week, person may develop the disease of GERD. Most of the time, people can manage the symptoms of GERD by making some diet and lifestyle changes. But if the symptoms do not subside, or become severe, medical intervention might be required as it may present with severe complications in the future.
AVI homeopathy is the best homeopathy clinic in Jaipur that provides complete cure to the problem of acid reflux in people. Homeopathy medicines are the most natural and safest way of getting permanent solution to GERD.
The lower oesophageal sphincter is a ring shaped band of muscle at the end of oesophagus. Normally, this sphincter opens only when the food enters the stomach from the mouth, then it closes automatically preventing the backflow of the contents of the stomach.
In GERD the lower oesophageal sphincter does not close properly, and the juices and acid of the stomach refluxes in the oesophagus, irritating and eroding the walls of the tube.
Signs & Symptoms
The sign and symptoms of GERD may include-
- Heartburn, after eating anything, that may become worse at night
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Regurgitation of sour fluid or food in the mouth
- Chest pain and discomfort
- Sensation of lump in the throat
If the reflux happens at night, person may also experience symptoms like-
- Cough, which might become chronic
- Asthmatic symptoms that may worsen over time
- Disturbed sleep
Factors that may increase the risk of GERD are-
- People having hiatal hernia
- Delaying in stomach emptying
- Connective tissue disorders, like scleroderma
The factors that may aggravate reflux symptoms are-
- Eating too much at a time
- Having late night meals
- Having fatty and fried foods
- Drinking beverages like coffee and alcohol
- Certain medications like aspirin
GERD may produce complications like-
- Continuous backflow of stomach acid in the lower portion of the oesophageal tract, causing destruction and scarring of the tissues, leading to narrowing of the oesophagus, which in turn makes swallowing difficult.
- Stomach acid can destroy the layer of oesophagus, leading to ulceration in the tissues, that may cause bleeding and pain. This condition can again make swallowing difficult.
- The damage in the inner lining of oesophagus may change the structure of the cells, which predispose the oesophagus for oesophageal cancer, and is known as Barrett’s oesophagus.
Doctor can diagnose GERD by reviewing the medical history of the patient along with the physical symptoms. If the doctor suspects any complications while investigating the symptoms, he may suggest some tests to confirm, like- upper endoscopy, Ambulatory acid probe test, esophageal manometry, X-Ray of upper digestive system, etc.
Homeopathic Treatment for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Homeopathic medicines are prescribed on the basis of current physical symptoms of the patient, along with the careful investigation of the emotional and mental symptoms of the patient. The medicines prescribed on this basis work on the root cause of the disease and give permanent relief in the symptoms.
AVI homeopathy, is the best homeopathy clinic in Jaipur which specialises in treating the disease from roots and giving permanent solution, along with preventing the disease from developing complications.