What is folliculitis?
Every single hair on the body grows out from a small skin cavity, known as follicle. Inflammation or infection in one or more follicles is known as folliculitis. Most of the times folliculitis is caused by bacterial or fungal infections. In the beginning, it may show mild signs like small red or white headed bump, but eventually it may turn into non healing crusty sores.
Folliculitis can happen on any part of the body, that has hairs, including scalp. However, it mostly occurs on arms, legs, buttocks, chest, back, head and thighs. It is more common on places where there is presence of friction. It can affect any person, with all age groups. Obese people are more prone for developing this condition.
Folliculitis is not a life threatening condition, but it may sometimes become itchy, painful and look cosmetically bad. Mild cases usually resolve within a few days by taking some self care measures, while other may become chronic and severe with recurrent folliculitis and cause permanent hair loss and scarring.
There are 3 types of folliculitis known- razor bumps, hot tub rash and barber’s itch.
Homeopathy has brilliant effects on any kind of folliculitis. Here in AVI homeopathy, the best homeopathy doctor for skin diseases can cure any skin manifestation from their roots, including folliculitis.
Folliculitis is commonly caused by staphylococcus bacteria. Though, it can also happen due to viruses, fungi and also by the inflammation in the ingrown hairs. It is also contagious to some extent and people can get infected by coming in contact with personal items like towels, razors, soap or clothing of the infected person.
Other factors that may cause folliculitis are-
- Wearing tight clothings
- Skin injuries, like during shaving
- Tight hair braids
- Not taking bath after excessive sweating
- Working with skin clogging substances like oil and tar
- Weak immune system
Sign and symptoms
The sign and symptoms of folliculitis may include-
- Group of small red bumps, with or without pus filled white heads developing around the hair follicles.
- Pus filled vesicles may burst open to form crust.
- Pain and tenderness in the skin
- Itching and soreness
Folliculitis can happen to any one of all ages and sex, yet there are some factors that predispose a person to form this medical condition like-
- Presence of acne and dermatitis
- Males with curly hair, who prefer shaving
- Wearing clothes that trap sweat like rubber gloves
- Damaging of hair follicles by wearing tight clothing, shaving and waxing
- Soaking in ill maintained hot tubs
- Using medications like steroids creams or taking long term antibiotics for acne
- Medical conditions that reduce immunity like diabetes, chronic leukaemia and HIV/AIDS
Folliculitis may result into complications like-
- Spreading of infection
- Frequent recurrence
- Formation of boils under that skin, known as furunculosis
- Formation of scarring or dark spots
- Permanent skin damage
- Permanent hair loss, due to destruction of hair follicles
The doctor can diagnose folliculitis by just looking on the skin. He may use the technique called as dermoscopy for microscopic examination of the skin. If it keeps on recurring even after the treatment, doctor may send the sample of the infected skin or hair for the laboratory testing, to know the type of microorganism causing the infection.
Homeopathy has given wonderful results in the cases of folliculitis. Homeopathy believes that the presenting skin symptoms are the outward manifestation of the inner underlying disease. Homeopathic medicines work on that underlying cause and thus treat the presenting skin symptoms with the root cause, giving permanent relief in the medical condition.
AVI homeopathy has best homeopathy doctor for skin diseases, who are specialised in treating any skin related complications, including folliculitis.