What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy is relatively very common neurological disorder. It is the disease of central nervous system, in which there is sudden abnormal increase in the electrical activity in the brain that may cause unprovoked seizures or unusual behaviours in the person, with unusual sensations and sometimes loss of awareness.
Mild seizures might be difficult to recognise, with just a starry look and lack of awareness. While others may be very strong with continuous uncontrollable twitching of the muscles of the arms and legs, that may last from a few seconds to some minutes. The person with strong seizure may become confused and lose consciousness, and may also lose the memory of the episode.
Having one episode of seizure does not mean that the person is having epilepsy. To establish the diagnosis of epilepsy, at least two unprovoked seizures are required in a person.
Seizures can be of two types:
- Generalised seizures, that affect the whole brain
- Partial or focal seizures, that affect only one part of the brain
Seizures can happen to anyone, in both sexes and of all age groups.
Homeopathic medicines prescribed in constitutional basis in AVI homeopathy, can not only help managing the symptoms of epilepsy, but also give permanent cure to the underlying cause of the disease.
In most of the cases it is difficult to diagnose any cause of the disease, but in others it may be caused due to-
- Genetic factors in which some people have epilepsy running in their families.
- Head trauma due to any injury or accident may trigger epilepsy in some cases
- Medical conditions related to brain, such as brain tumour and stroke may also cause epilepsy in some cases
- Prenatal injuries, like infection in the mother, poor nutrition or oxygen deficiency before birth may result into epilepsy and cerebral palsy in infants.
- Epilepsy has been linked to some other developmental disorders, like autism and neurofibromatosis
Seizures are the main symptoms of epilepsy. The symptoms produced are very vast and differ from person to person. They also show different characteristics depending upon the type of seizures
Symptoms of partial seizures
Simple partial seizure does not cause loss of consciousness, and present with symptoms like-
- Tingling and twitching of limbs
- Altered sense of taste, smell, sight, touch and hearing
Complex partial seizures may cause loss of awareness or consciousness with other symptoms like-
- Blank, starry look
- Repetitive movements
Symptoms of generalised seizures
They are of 6 types-
- Absence seizures- They often occur in children, and cause repetitive movements like lip smacking and blinking. It usually accompanies short loss of awareness.
- Tonic seizures- It causes stiffening if the muscles, which usually affect muscles of back, arms and legs.
- Atonic seizures- In this there is sudden loss of muscle control, which may result in falling.
- Clonic seizures- Characterised by repeated rhythmic movements of the face, neck and arms.
- Myoclonic seizures- This causes quick jerking of the arms and legs.
- Tonic-clonic seizures- It causes symptoms like- stuffing and shaking of the body, loss of control over bladder and bowel movements, biting or tongue and loss of consciousness.
- Common in children and older adults
- People having family history of epilepsy
- Head injuries
- Stroke and other vascular diseases that may cause brain damage
- Brain infections like meningitis, that cause inflammation of brain and spinal cord
- High fevers during childhood
Doctor will review symptoms and the medical history of the patient to diagnose epilepsy. To know the cause and confirming the diagnosis, doctor may ask to go for several tests like-
- Neurological exam to test behaviour, motor abilities and mental function
- Blood tests to see any genetic predominance
- CT scan
- MRI, etc
Homeopathic Treatment for Epilepsy
Homeopathic treatment in the cases of epilepsy is usually done with the individualised approach. Homeopathy believes that any symptom in the body is just the outer manifestation of some underlying disease condition, which may involve any mental, spiritual or physical reasons behind it.
AVI homeopathy is the best homeopathy clinic in Jaipur that follows the holistic approach of homeopathy in treating the cases of epilepsy. Medicines prescribed on this concept not only help in reducing the number of episodes of the disease, but also cure the underlying cause permanently.