What is Eczema?
Eczema is a chronic form of medical condition in which the skin becomes inflamed, resulting into a red, itchy and dry skin, which may sometimes become cracked and leathery. It is frequently referred to as atopic dermatitis, which is most common form of eczema. ‘Atopic’ word means an allergy and thus atopic dermatitis is often accompanied by other allergies like hay fever and asthma. Atopic dermatitis is very common in infants, which normally outgrow till the age of ten, but it can happen at any age. Eczematous patches are mostly found on the hands, feet, ankles, wrists, eyelids, upper chest, neck, bends of elbows and knees. In infants it is most commonly found on the face and scalp.
Homeopathic medicines can eliminate the problem of eczema from roots. Patients should look for best homeopathic doctor for skin in such cases if they seek permanent solution for this problem.
Eczema is a chronic skin disease, and tends to flare up periodically. The typical itchy rashes of eczema may come up in response to certain substances or conditions. There can be various factors involved for the outbreak and may be different for different people, like-
- feeling too hot or too cold,
- coming in contact with soaps and detergents or animal dander may flare it up
- upper respiratory infections or cold
- Stress can further worsen up the condition
- family or personal history of eczema are at maximum risk.
Exact cause of eczema is unknown, but it is related to a gene variation in which skin is not able to retain moisture, hence does not provide protection from bacteria, irritants and allergens. This makes the skin susceptible to external environmental factors. It has been found that food allergies may also play a triggering factor for causing eczema in children.
- Atopic dermatitis- This is the most common type of eczema. It is common in children and usually becomes milder or subside in later years of life. It is almost always associated with hay fever and asthma.
- Contact dermatitis- Contact dermatitis is caused as a reaction to touching any substances like detergents, bleach, latex, soaps, etc, which produces symptoms like redness and irritation.
- Dyshidrotic eczema- In this form there are formation of fluid filled blisters on the skin, due to any allergy, stress, damp hands and feet or coming in contact with substances like nickel, cobalt or chromium salts.
- Hand eczema- This typically happens on the hands of people who regularly come in direct contact with chemicals, like those who job of cleaning, hairdressing, etc.
- Neurodermatitis- This usually starts in people who are already suffering from other types of eczema or psoriasis. Symptoms are similar to atopic dermatitis with formation of thick, scaly patches.
- Nummular eczema- Nummular means ‘coin’ in Latin. In this, there are formation of coin shaped patches on the skin, which may itch a lot.
- Stasis dermatitis- This type happens in people who have blood flow disorders in their lower legs. Due to stasis of blood, fluid leaks on the skin, causing swelling, redness, itching and pain.
Signs & Symptoms
Sign and symptoms of eczema may vary from person to person and commonly include symptoms like dry scaly skin and red to brownish patches. Sometimes small raised bumps may develop that exudes fluid when scratched, and later on form crusts. Skin may even become cracked, thickened, scaly, and sensitive, raw and swollen from scratching. In infants, this condition is mostly subsided till adulthood, but for some people it may flare periodically for several years.
Eczema can present with several complications, like most of the infants suffering from this condition develop asthma and hay fever by the age of 13, when conditions become chronic, the skin may become thick, discoloured or leathery due to regular itching. Repeated breaking of skin due to scratching develop open wounds that may lead to skin infections. In eczema itch mostly gets aggravated at night, that may lead to disturbed sleep cycles.
Homeopathic Treatment for Eczema
Conventional system of medicine has no specific treatment for eczema, but homeopathy has proved very effective in eliminating eczema from roots, though it might take some time to be fully cured. One should consult the best homeopathic doctor for skin diseases to permanently get rid of this problem. Some best homeopathic medicines used to treat eczema are sulphur, graphites, calcarea carb, cicuta virosa, sepia, lycopodium, etc.