Saliva moisten our mouth, eases the chewing process and helps to swallow. It is very important factor in preventing tooth decay, by neutralising acids produced by the bacterias and limit bacterial growth. The enzymes present in saliva also help In digestion.
What is dry mouth?
Dry mouth or xerostomia, is defined as the condition in which the salivary glands in the mouth are not able to produce enough saliva, required to carry out its normal functions.
This can be caused due to multiple reasons and underlying diseases, and less commonly because of any pathology directly related to salivary glands. Dry mouth and salivary dysfunction in extreme cases can cause significant anxiety and permanent mouth and throat disorders, which can seriously impair a person’s normal life. Dry mouth affects about 10% people and is found to be more prevalent in women that men. The
Homeopathy is capable of treating dry mouth, no matter what the underlying cause is. People facing this problem can physically visit the best homeopathy clinic or go for homeopathic doctor online consultation to get the permanent cure for the condition.
Causes of dry mouth
Salivary glands in the mouth are not able to produce enough saliva as a result of-
- Side effects of certain medications like medicines that are prescribed to treat anxiety, depression, pain, allergies, acne, epilepsy, asthma, Parkinson’s disease, etc. Muscle relaxants and sedatives may also cause dry mouth as their side effects.
- Aging process due to poor nutrition and side effects of regular medications and long term health problems.
- Side effects of certain diseases and infections, like Alzheimer’s disease, HIV, diabetes, anaemia, cystic fibrosis, stroke, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, mumps, etc.
- Side effects of certain medical treatments like chemotherapy treatments for cancer and radiation to the head and neck.
- Nerve damage due to injury to the head and neck area
- Conditions that may lead to dehydration, like during fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, blood loss and burns.
- Surgical removal of salivary glands
- Use of excessive tobacco and alcohol can also aggravate dry mouth symptoms.
- Recreational drugs like Methamphetamine and marijuana cause severe dry mouth. Methamphetamine can lead to teeth damage due to excessive dry mouth, a condition known as “meth mouth”.
Sign and symptoms
Some common symptoms of dry mouth include:
- Dryness and a feeling of stickiness in the mouth
- Saliva seems thick and stringy
- Excessive thirst
- Bad breadth
- Difficulty in chewing, speaking and swallowing
- Dry, sore throat with hoarseness
- Sores in the mouth
- Split skin at the corners of the mouth with cracked lips
- Red, dry grooves tongue
- Changed sense of taste
- Problem wearing dentures, etc
Other than having the above stated symptoms, people having dry mouth are also at a greater risk for developing gingivitis, tooth decay and thrush.
People who are not able to produce enough saliva can develop complications like-
- Mouth sores
- Yeast infection in the mouth, commonly known as thrush
- Increased plaques, tooth decay and gum diseases
- Split skin at corners of mouth and dry cracked lips
- Nutrition related problems due to improper chewing and swallowing
For diagnosis of dry mouth, doctor will take the full medical history of the patient, along with the history of medications, diet and other things that can contribute to dry mouth.
For the physical examination, doctor may do intraoral examination to confirm the low salivary output and evaluate the harm done to the dentition and oral tissues.
Sometimes, doctor may suggest for some blood tests and imaging scans of the salivary glands to know the underlying cause of the symptom.
Homeopathic medicines have proved very efficient in the cases of dry mouth, by addressing the root cause of the disease. Homeopathy can restore the normal functioning of the salivary glands by treating the underlying medical conditions and also treat other complications brought on due to severe dry mouth.
Nowadays people have so many options to get homeopathic treatment. Patients who are not able to visit best homeopathy clinic physically can opt for homeopathy doctor online consultation to get the treatment.
Some general homeopathic medicines for dry mouth are: bryonia, nux moschata, natrum mur, Kali bichrome, pulsatilla, belladonna, etc.