What is diphtheria?
Diphtheria is highly contagious bacterial infection affecting the mucous membranes of the throat and nose. The hallmark sign of diphtheria is formation of a greyish membrane in back of the throat.
Diphtheria, if not treated on time may lead to serious complications, which may damage heart, kidneys and nervous system and sometimes prove fatal.
Diphtheria is nowadays uncommon in the developed nations because of the availability of vaccines against the bacteria that causes it, but it’s still a matter of concern in developing nations as even after treatment mortality rate is very high in children.
Homeopathic medicines are very effective in treatment of diphtheria. The children and adults affected with diphtheric bacteria can be naturally relieved from the symptoms by consulting the best homeo clinic.
Corynebacterium diphtheriae is the bacteria responsible for causing diphtheria. It is a highly contagious bacteria and typically spreads from person to person contact. The two most common ways of spreading infection are-
- Airborne droplets- This is the most common way of spreading the infection. It spreads through the mist of droplets produced by the infected person when he coughs, sneezes or blows the nose. People who are nearby can inhale the droplets containing the bacterias and get infected. Even if the person is asymptomatic, he can spread the infection upto six weeks after the initial infection.
- Contaminated personal or household items- People can occasionally get infected by the personal items like tissues and towels that are contaminated by the patient who is suffering from diphtheria. The bacterias causing diphtheria can also be spread by touching the infected wound.
The bacteria causing diphtheria infects the throat and nose. These bacterias release dangerous toxins which spread via bloodstream and form thick grey psudomembrane at-
- Tongue and
Sign and symptoms
Sign and symptoms of diphtheria start occurring after 2-5 days of infection. In the starting the person may have very mild symptoms similar to common flu, but the most viable symptom that differentiates diphtheria from other normal flu is the presence of thick grey membrane or coating on the throat and tonsils.
Other than this, common symptoms may include-
- Sore throat
- Swelling of glands in the throat
- Loud, barking cough
- Bluish discolouration of skin
- A general feeling of uneasiness
If the disease progress, it may produce additional symptoms like-
- Difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Slurring of speech
- Changes on vision
- Signs of shock, like cold and pale skin and rapid heartbeat
People living in tropical areas and with poor hygiene can develop cutaneous diphtheria, which affects the skin. Diphtheria of skin produces symptoms like ulcers and redness in the affected areas.
People who are at maximum risk of developing diphtheria are-
- The children and adults who don’t have proper vaccinations
- People who live in tropics and in unhygienic conditions
- People travelling to areas where diphtheria is common
- People living in developing countries, where vaccination rates are very low.
If left untreated, diphtheria may produce complications like-
- Breathing problems due to the formation of grey pseudo membrane damaging the tissues on the nose and throat.
- Toxins produced by the bacterias can travel through bloodstream to other tissues like heart and may cause complications like myocarditis and heart failure.
- The toxins can even cause nerve damage specially targeting the nerves of the throat, making it difficult to swallow anything. Nerve damage may also happen in arms and legs causing inflammation and muscle weakness. Diphtheria can sometimes damage the nerves of the muscles related to breathing, making respiration difficult.
Doctor can confirm the diagnosis of diphtheria by the presenting physical symptoms and grey membrane that is formed on the back of the throat and tonsils. Doctor may take a swab from the throat and get it tested for the bacteria that causes diphtheria to confirm the diagnosis.
Homeopathy is the most natural and side effects free treatment available for diphtheria. The approach taken by the best homeo clinic in the treatment of diphtheria is mostly individualistic and based on the holistic concept of homeopathy.
The aim of the treatment is to not only give relief from the symptoms, but also cure the underlying cause of the disease.