What is Dementia?
Dementia is a syndrome, which is progressive and chronic in nature. Dementia isn’t a single disease, but a group of diseases, in which there is serious deterioration in memory, thinking, behaviour, orientation, comprehension, calculation, judgement and ability to carry out daily activities.
Dementia mostly affects people in old age, but the symptoms are more serious than the normal disabilities that people face during this age and is not a normal part of ageing. According to WHO, there are about 50 million people suffering from dementia all over the world, and about 10 million are added to it every year. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia and contribute for about 60-70% of the cases.
Dementia is one of the major causes for dependency and disability among people of old age on others. It not only causes physiological, physical and economic pressure on the patient, but also on the caretakers.
Dementia can be very well prevented and taken care of with the help of homeopathy. The best homeopathy doctor can help improving the mental conditions significantly, which can reduce the dependency of the aged people on others.
Neurodegenerative diseases, like progressive brain cell death is associated with most of the dementias. Depending upon the area, in which the cells are affected, symptoms are seen in an individual.
Other than that, dementia can happen due to head injury, stroke, brain tumour and other causes such as vascular dementia, in which brain cell death occur due to any cerebrovascular diseases.
Signs & Symptoms
Sign and symptoms produced by dementia varies from person to person depending upon the part of the brain that is affected and the personality of the patient, before he got ill.
The sign and symptoms produced by dementia can be grouped into three stages
- Early stage: The symptoms produced are very mild and often overlooked. Some common symptoms are
- Loosing track of time
- Getting lost at known and familiar places
- Middle stage: The sign and symptoms become more prominent during this stage, like
- Getting lost at home
- Difficulty in communicating
- Forgetting recent events and names
- Repeatedly asking the same questions
- Start needing assistance in personal care
- Late stage: During this stage the patient becomes almost entirely dependent for all his day to day activities. There is serious memory impairment. Commonly produced symptoms include
- Having difficulty in recognising family and friends
- Difficulty in walking
- Becoming unaware of the time and place
- Increased need for assistance on day to day activities
- Behavioural changes, and may become aggressive sometimes
Some Common Types of Dementia
Dementia can be categorised into several types, some common ones are discussed below
- Alzheimer’s disease- This is the most common form of dementia, in which there are formation of plaques and tangles in the brain. It is believed that these plaques and tangles are responsible for damaging healthy neurons and fibres that connect them.
- Vascular dementia- This type of dementia happens when the blood vessels that supply blood to the brain get damaged. Common symptoms produced due to this type of dementia are slow thinking, difficulty in focusing and organisation, with difficulty in problem solving.
- Lewy body dementia- Lewy body are clumps of protein that are formed in the brain and produce symptoms like acting out dreams in the sleep, visual hallucinations, and difficulty in focus and attention.
- Frontotemporal dementia- These are group of diseases produced by degeneration of brain cells in frontal and temporal lobes of the brain. This affects the behaviour, personality, thinking and judgement capabilities.
- Mixed dementia- It has been found that people who are 80 and above suffer from different types of dementias at the same time, like Alzheimer’s disease, Lewy body dementia and vascular dementia.
Dementia Homeopathic Treatment
Homeopathic medicines can be very helpful in managing dementia. Medicines are prescribed mostly after individualising the case according to patients’ mental, emotional and physical symptoms. Homeopathy can very well reduce the dependency of the patient on the caretaker, and let both of them live a more normal life.
Homeopathic medicines do not allow the disease to progress to late stages, where it causes almost total dependency upon others. Homeopathic medicines can improve memory and other symptoms like speech, power of judgment, orientation efficiently.