What is Dandruff?
Dandruff is a common condition of the scalp, which is characterised by dry, scaly flakes of skin on the scalp, that may keep falling on the clothes and face. Dandruff is not a very serious condition, but it is almost always accompanied by itching, which may be irritating and sometimes embarrassing.
Everybody gets dandruff sometimes in their lives, but nobody knows why exactly dandruff is caused, though sometimes it is associated with not maintaining proper hygiene and not brushing the hair regularly. Studies tell that dandruff develops when the skin cells of the scalp grow and die too fast. It is a form of seborrheic dermatitis. A common fungus called malassezia has also been associated with dandruff. This fungus normally lives on the scalp without causing any problem, but it’s been found that when body’s immune system overreacts to this fungus, it cause flaky skin.
Causes & Risk Factors
The exact cause of dandruff is not known. Still some possible causes may include-
- Seborrheic dermatitis- people with seborrheic dermatitis have oily and irritated skin that may result in dandruff. Along with that malssezia fungus is also associated with seborrheic dermatitis. The extra skin cells produced due to over activity of the scalp skin cells mix with oil and form dandruff.
- No proper and regular brushing of hair- regular combing and brushing keep shedding the extra skin from the scalp. People who do not brush the hair regularly and do not maintain proper hair hygiene are most likely to develop dandruff.
- Yeast sensitivity- people who have sensitivity for yeast infection are at higher risk for developing dandruff
- Dry skin- cold weather and dry cold wind can cause dryness of the skin, resulting into itchy flaky skin
- Hair care products- some cosmetic products can cause allergic reactions on the scalp, causing red, itchy and scaly scalp
- Skin conditions- people suffering with certain skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema are seen to be frequently suffering with dandruff
- Certain medical conditions- people with Parkinson’s disease and neurological illness are seen to be more affected with dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis
- Diet- people not consuming diet enough in zinc, vit B and some types of fat increase the risk for developing dandruff
- Stress- many of the skin conditions like dandruff have been linked to stress
- Age and hormones- dandruff has seen to be affecting people more in their adolescence till middle age. As it starts in people during their puberty and affects men more as compared to women, hormones most probably have a role to play in causing them.
Signs & Symptoms
Sign and symptoms of dandruff are very evident and may include:
- Flaky skin on the scalp, hair, eyebrows, beard or moustache, and shoulders
- Itching of scalp
- Crusty and scaly scalp in infants with cradle cap( seborrheic dermatitis in babies)
Sign and symptoms usually flare up in winters
Dandruff can be easily diagnosed clinically by looking at the skin condition of the scalp and do not require any specific test.
Homeopathic Treatment for Dandruff
Homeopathy has very effective and efficient treatment for dandruff. The homeopathic medicines not only treat the scalp and dandruff, they also provide a long term relief in this condition and prevent them from recurring in near future. The constitutional homeopathic medicines treat the disease from the roots and provide permanent cure.
The constitutional homeopathic medicines are the personalised remedies for the patient, which are chosen after careful analysis of the symptoms, it’s severity, and health condition of the individual person.
AVI homeopathy is a homeopathy speciality centre that is known for its success rate in providing permanent cures to its patients from the skin conditions like dandruff and many others.