Constipation refers to the bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass. Constipation is a symptom, not a disease. In most of the cases, this occurs because the colon has absorbed too much water from the food that is in the colon. The slower the food moves through the digestive tract, the more water the colon will absorb from it, thus emptying the bowel become dry & hard.
Key points about constipation:
- Constipation generally occurs because too much water is absorbed from food.
- Some cases of constipation can be relieved by changing the life-style.
- Laxative should only be used as a last option.
- Lack of fibre in the diet: it is important to consume foods rich in fibres. Fibre promotes bowel movements and prevents constipation.
- Sedentary livings: physical activity keeps the metabolism high, making the digestion process easier.
- Milk: some people become constipated when they consume milk or milk products.
- Not drinking enough water: if constipation is already present, drinking more liquids might not relieve it but habit of drinking plenty of water regularly reduces the risk of constipation.
- Some disease conditions: diseases like Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), hypothyroidism, parkinson’s disease, diabetes etc. tend to slow down the movement of faeces through the colon.
Constipation in infants & children:
Constipation in infants and children occurs when they have hard stools or have problems passing stools. A child may have pain while passing stools or may be unable to have a bowel movement after straining or pushing.
Signs of constipation:
- Having less than 3 bowel movements in a week (children)
- Difficulty in passing stools or seeming uncomfortable.
- Stomach ache.
- Hard, dry stools or large and wide stools.
- Pain when having a bowel movement.
Other symptoms include: nausea, stomach cramps, loss of appetite, feeling bloated etc.
Homoeopathic treatment for constipation:
AVI homoeopathy offers a promising cure for constipation. Our treatment for constipation is based on the treatment of internal causes leading to the development of constipation. The homoeopathic medicines for constipation have a distinction over the purgatives by it not being habit-forming. Dr.Choudhary recommends homoeopathic medicines over purgatives as they are not habit-forming & truly effective.