What is conjunctivitis?
The conjunctiva is a thin layer, that runs over the white part of the eye, including the inside of the eyelids. Conjunctivitis, commonly known as ‘pink eye’ is the inflammation of the conjunctiva. In this, the small vessels of the conjunctiva become inflamed and visible, giving the eye red or pink colour.
Conjunctivitis is commonly caused by bacterial or viral infection, or due to some allergic reaction, or may be in children who have incompletely opened lachrymal duct.
It is a highly contagious condition, and is very common in children. Though conjunctivitis is a irritating condition, it rarely affects vision or cause any long term problems.
Conjunctivitis can be easily diagnosed and treated. Homeopathy has very good and rapid treatment for the symptoms of conjunctivitis. It is a common condition and the best homeo clinic can give permanent and complete cure in this complaint.
Conjunctivitis can be caused by several sources-
- Adenovirus are responsible for most of the viral conjunctivitis. However, it may also be caused by herpes simplex virus, varicella zoster virus, COVID-19, or any virus that can cause common flu.
Bacterial conjunctivitis is most commonly caused by the same type of bacterias that cause step throat and staph infections. Exchanging of contact lenses without taking proper hygienic precautions, can also cause bacterial conjunctivitis.
Both viral and bacterial conjunctivitis are usually accompanied with the symptoms of cold and respiratory infections, like sore throat. Both these types are highly contagious and spread by coming in contact with the infected fluid that keeps draining from the infected eyes of the person.
- Allergic conjunctivitis affects both eyes at the same time. When the body comes in contact with any allergen, it responds by producing antibody, called immunoglobulinE which is responsible for triggering mast cells in the inner lining of the eyes. Mast cells release inflammatory substance called histamine, which is responsible for producing allergic symptoms in the body, including the pink eyes.
Allergic conjunctivitis causes a lot of itching and inflammation in the eyes, along with sneezing and watery nasal discharges.
- Chemicals and foreign objects in the eyes can also cause irritation and conjunctivitis in the eyes. Chemicals like chlorine in the swimming pools can also result in this condition. Sign and symptoms like watery eyes and mucous discharge usually get resolved within a day.
- Conjunctivitis can also be caused by some sexually transmitted diseases, like gonorrhoea. This causes a very serious form of bacterial conjunctivitis, which can permanently affect the vision, if not treated on time. Presence of chlamydia, gonorrhoea or other bacterias while giving birth can pass on conjunctivitis to the baby.
Sign and symptoms
Sign and symptoms of conjunctivitis include-
- Redness and swelling in the white part of the eye
- Discharge of tears, which is more than usual
- Thick, yellow mucoid discharges from the eye, that adheres to the eyelashes and may cause sticking of the eyelashes is the morning
- Itching in eyes
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Blurring if vision
- Increase sensitiveness to light
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Exposure to the allergens that may cause allergic reactions in the body, in case of allergic conjunctivitis.
- Coming in contact with the person who is infected with viral or bacterial conjunctivitis.
- Using extended wear contact lenses.
Pink eye can cause severe inflammation in the cornea of both children and adults, which can permanently affect the vision.
Homeopathy is very useful in all the types of conjunctivitis. Homeopathic medicines give rapid relief in all the complaints of conjunctivitis from effectively reducing the inflammation and redness in the eyes, along with treating the itchiness and burning caused in this medical condition.
Medicines prescribed from the best homeo clinic like AVI homeopathy will not only relieve the presenting complaints, but also increase the body’s immunity to reduce the tendency of further allergic reactions in the body, in case of allergic conjunctivitis.