What is cirrhosis?
Cirrhosis is the serious and late complication of liver diseases. In cirrhosis, there is severe scarring of the liver due to the chronic liver problems and conditions like hepatitis and excessive alcoholism.
The diseases injure and kill liver cells. Injured liver cells try to repair themselves by the formation of scar tissues. As the disease progresses, with it cirrhosis also progress and the scarring continues. The liver cells that do not die try to replace the cells which have died and thus result in formation of clusters of newly formed liver cells within the scar tissue, which are known as regenerative nodules. Formation of excessive scar tissues in the liver severely hamper its functions, and may become life threatening if not controlled.
Damage done by cirrhosis is irreversible process. But, if the disease is diagnosed early, patient may visit the best homeopathy clinic to control of its progress, as homeopathy has best medicines to control cirrhosis and treat the related symptoms.
There are wide range of diseases and conditions that can severely damage liver cells and lead to cirrhosis. Some of them are stated below
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Viral hepatitis, especially hepatitis B,C and D
- Non alcoholic fatty liver disease, in which fat deposition takes place in the liver
- Cystic fibrosis
- Hemachromatosis, in which iron starts accumulating in the body
- Biliary atresia, marked by poor development of bile ducts
- Wilson’s disease- in which there is accumulation of copper in the liver cells
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Genetic digestive disorders
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Hardening and scarring of the bile ducts
- Alpha-1 antitrypsis defficiency
- Medications like acetaminophen, some antibiotics, antidepressants, etc
Sign and Symptoms
The symptoms of cirrhosis usually show up when the disease has progressed. The symptoms produced are due to hampering of the functions of the liver, like breakdown of the toxins, purification of the blood, production of clotting proteins, help in absorption of fat and fat soluble vitamins, etc. Some commonly produced symptoms include
- Decrease in appetite
- Easy nose bleeds and bruising
- Weight loss
- Itchy skin
- Spider like blood vessels under the skin
If the disease progresses, some more severe symptoms may be seen, like
- Accumulation of fluid in the abdomen(ascites)
- Oedema in legs
- Gynaecomastia- In which males start developing breasts
- Confusion, drowsiness and slurred speech
- Absence of periods, etc
The most common risk factors that predispose a person for developing liver cirrhosis are-
- Consumption of excessive amount of alcohol
- Having any viral hepatitis- Not everyone suffering from hepatitis develop cirrhosis, but it increases the risk
- Overweight people may develop fatty liver or fatty steatohepatitis, that can lead to cirrhosis in future
For the diagnosis of cirrhosis, doctor will go through the medical and family history of the patient, to know the presence of any autoimmune diseases, amount of alcohol consumption, or any other risk factor.
For physical examination, doctor will look for symptoms such as
- Yellow or pale skin and eyes( jaundice)
- An enlarged liver or spleen
- Reddened palms
- Hand tremors
- Small testicles, etc
Doctor may suggest for certain tests to evaluate the damage done, like
- Complete blood count
- Coagulation blood tests
- Liver function tests
- Alpha fetoproteins
- Ultrasonography of the liver
- Upper endoscopy
- CT scan of the abdomen
- Liver biopsy, etc
Liver cirrhosis is a irreversible process, as the scar tissues cannot be regenerated again, but it can be saved from progressing further with the help of homeopathy. Consulting the best homeopathy clinic in the early phase of the disease can protect the liver from further damage in the cases of cirrhosis.
It is evident that cirrhosis of liver is the presenting complaint of some other underlying disease or conditions, which are responsible for damaging the liver cells. Homeopathic medicines work on the cause of the disease and thus remove the symptoms from their roots. It prevents further progression of the disease, and help liver carry out its normal function as efficiently as possible.