What is Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia?
Chronic myeloid leukaemia, or chronic myelogenous leukaemia is an uncommon cancer of the bone marrow, which is the soft, spongy part inside the bones, responsible for producing blood cells. In chronic myeloid leukaemia, there is overproduction of the white blood cells in the blood.
CML usually affects any person in middle or older ages, though it can happen in any age. This is a chronic form of blood cancer as it is slow in progression and develops with much less speed as compared to other leukemias. People usually suffer from this due to changes in the genetic makeup of the chromosomes. Person suffering with this cancer may remain in the remission phase for a very long time without showing any symptoms.
Homeopathic approach in all types of cancers is usually holistic, which can result in miracles. Homeopathy specialist doctor for such cases usually give constitutional medicines to cure the cases from the roots.
Most people suffering with CML will never know what caused them, but it is a known fact that something goes wrong with the genes in the marrow which trigger this medical condition. There are some situations that have been discovered to lead to chronic myeloid leukaemia in the future like-Presence of Philadelphia chromosome is observed in 90% of the people who suffer from this cancer. The Philadelphia chromosome creates a new gene called BCR-ABL. These genes have instructions for the abnormal blood cells to produce too much quantity of a protein, known as tyrosine kinase. This protein causes white blood cells to grow out of control.
Most of the produced white blood cells contain the abnormal Philadelphia chromosome, thus they keep on repeating to produce such abnormal WBCs. The diseased white blood cells do not grow and die normally, and build up in large numbers crowding up the healthy blood cells, resulting into damaging of the blood marrow.
Signs & Symptoms
CML has three phases and the symptoms depend upon the phase in which the person is.
- Chronic phase- This is the earliest phase of the disease, which might not present with any significant symptoms, and is easily treated.
- Accelerated phase- During this phase, the number of abnormal cells increase, and may present with symptoms like
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Shortness of breadth
- Having night sweats
- Pain in the bones
- Tenderness in the region of spleen
- Change in vision
- Sometimes prolonged erections
- Blastic phase- In this phase the diseased cells outgrow the healthy blood cells and present with more severe symptoms like
- Swollen glands
- Easy infections
- Increased bone pain
- Skin condition like bumps and tumours
Factors that may increase the risk of chronic myeloid leukaemia are-
- It is observed that males are more at risk of developing this cancer than women
- People of older ages are more prone to get this disease
- Getting exposed to radiations, like radiation therapy for many types of cancers
For diagnosing CML doctor will need to advice some tests and procedures like
- Physical examination- Doctor will check for the pulse, vitals and blood pressure. He will palpate lymph nodes, spleen and abdomen to determine if they have enlarged in size.
- Blood tests- Complete blood count can reveal if there is an abnormal increase in the numbers of WBCs.
- Bone marrow tests- Bone marrow biopsy and bone marrow aspiration are done to know the abnormalities of the bone marrow.
- Tests for Philadelphia chromosome- Tests like fluorescence in situ hybridisation( FISH)analysis and polymerase chain reaction(PCR) test are used to check the presence of Philadelphia chromosome.
Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia – Homeopathic Treatment
The scope of homeopathic treatment in cases of any type of cancer depends upon the stage and severity of symptoms, with which the patient presents in the clinic.
Homoeopathy specialist doctor will prescribe the medicines on the basis of your constitution and individual symptoms to cure such serious and complicated conditions. Homeopathy can do wonders with the help of holistic approach of medication in cancers.
Homeopathic medicines can significantly increase the number of platelets and regularise the production of WBCs to some extent, which can save a person to develop further complications and significantly reduce the number of chemotherapy sessions. Along with that homeopathic treatment also reduces the mental anxiety, distress and other mental and accessory health issues that these types of serious diseases bring with them.