What is Chronic Diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is a very common digestive disorder, which is characterised by frequent loose watery stools. It may be caused due to viruses, bacterias and sometimes due to contaminated food or water. Acute diarrhoea is a common condition and the symptoms usually resolve within two to three days without causing any complications. If diarrhoea persists for more than 2-4 weeks, it is termed under chronic diarrhoea.
In a research, it has been found that more than 5% of the population is suffering with chronic diarrhoea, and about 40% of them are above 60 years of age. Chronic diarrhoea is usually due to some underlying medical condition, which needs to be diagnosed and treated to treat chronic diarrhoea. It can have very serious complications, if it’s not treated on time.
The potential causes of chronic diarrhoea may include-
- People consuming large amount of alcohol or beverages that contain caffeine may develop chronic diarrhoea, which usually resolve if the person makes necessary lifestyle changes.
- Consuming certain sugars and artificial sweeteners, like sorbitol, mannitol, fructose and lactose, for long periods of time may lead to chronic diarrhoea.
- Using many herbal remedies and herbal teas at the same time may lead to chronic diarrhoea, as they contain natural laxatives.
- Certain medications that can cause chronic diarrhoea are-
- Most of the antibiotics
- Certain antidepressants
- Magnesium hydroxide containing antacids
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Radiation therapy medications
- Infection with intestinal parasites may cause chronic diarrhoea
- Inflammatory conditions, like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Other causes may include-
- Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS)
- Hormonal disorders like thyroid dysfunction and diabetes
- Due to complications due to abdominal or intestinal surgery
- Certain food allergies
- Rare tumours, like carcinoid tumour
Signs & Symptoms
The main symptom of chronic diarrhoea is having loose and watery stool, that has persisted for more than 4 weeks. The urge for stool may not be an emergency. Other symptoms may include-
- Abdominal cramps
- Frequent bowel movements
- Sometimes accompanied by burning sensation
Most common and serious complication of chronic diarrhoea is dehydration. This is potentially a life threatening condition, if not compensated quickly with fluids and electrolytes. The signs of dehydration include-
- Dark urine
- Increase thirst
For making diagnosis for chronic diarrhoea, doctor will take the medical history of the patient to investigate the possible causes of chronic diarrhoea. The main focus of the doctor would be to know any medical history related to digestive system.
Doctor may investigate about patient’s eating habits and history of any alcohol or drug abuse. To confirm his diagnosis, doctor may suggest some tests like blood tests, stool sample and imaging tests.
Chronic Diarrhoea Homeopathic Treatment
Homeopathic medicines are usually chosen individually for the patient irrespective of the underlying cause. Homeopathy is very efficient for treating all types of cases of chronic diarrhoea.
The homeopathic medicines chosen individually are carefully selected after elaborate case taking of the patient. While taking the case, great emphasis is made upon the total personality of the patient, including his nature, his constitution, habits, family medical history of the patient, his susceptibility, tendencies, bowel habits, eating habit, desires and aversions, mental and emotional state, his physical generals, presenting complaints etc. The individualised medicines are very effective in treating the underlying cause of the symptoms and help in permanent cure from the roots.
AVI homeopathy is known for its effective and safe homeopathic treatments. In chronic diarrhoea also the centre has given very good results in permanently treating the condition, before it causes any complications.