What is cervical cancer?
Cervix is a cylindrical hollow part of the female pelvic organs, that connect lower part of the uterus with the vagina. Cervical cancer happens when the cells in the cervix become cancerous which may affect the deeper tissues of the cervix. This type of cancer may spread to other parts of the body, like lungs, liver, bladder, vagina and rectum.
In most of the cases, human papilloma virus(HPV), which are spread sexually are responsible for causing cervical cancer. Normally, the human body prevents the virus from affecting, but sometimes virus stays for very long inside the body, contributing in converting the cervical cells into cancerous ones.
Cervical cancer is relatively slower progressing cancer, thus, if diagnosed early it can affectively be treated before developing complications. Moreover, the risk of developing cervical cancer can be minimised by regular screening tests and taking the vaccine that protects against HPV infections.
Women, between the ages of 35 to 44 years are more at risk of developing this cancer.
Constitutional approach of treatment in homeopathy can be very effective in the cases of cervical cancer. Individualised medicines prescribed by homeopathy specialist doctor can give wonderful results in such cases.
Healthy normal cells grow and multiply at a fixed rate and then die after completing their life cycle. Cancerous cells loose this property and start multiplying and growing uncontrollably. In the case of cervical cancer the normal functioning cells of the cervix get mutated and start behaving abnormally, growing and multiplying out of control and start forming a tumour. These abnormal cells can invade nearby tissues and spread to other parts of the body by entering into the bloodstream.
Most of the cervical cancers are caused by sexually transmitted HPV. There are several strains of virus, but only two types- HPV-16 and HPV-18 have been known to cause cancer.
Types of cervical cancer
- Squamous cell carcinoma- This is the most common type of cervical cancer and forms in the lining of the cervix.
- Adenocarcinoma- This happens in the cells that produce mucous.
- Mixed carcinoma- When there is presence of features of more than one type, it is known as mixed carcinoma.
Sign and symptoms
Cervical cancer usually do not cause any symptoms in the early stages. Later on, it is sometimes misdiagnosed with conditions like menstruation or UTIs due to similarity of symptoms.
Some of the characteristic sign and symptoms may include-
- Unusual vagina bleeding, such as after intercourse, between periods or after menopause
- Different and foul odour discharges from vagina
- Pelvic pain
- Increased frequency of urination
- Painful urination
Factors increasing the risk for cervical cancer are-
- Having multiple sexual partners which increase the risk of catching HPV infection
- Early sexual exposure also increases the risk
- Other sexually transmitted diseases like chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis also increase the risk
- Weakened immune system
- Smoking, which has been associated to squamous cell carcinoma
- Miscarriage prevention drugs also increase the risk
Screening tests are very helpful in detecting cervical cancer and precancerous cells. Screening tests include-
- Pap test, in which scrapes of cells are taken from the cervix for examination
- HPV DNA test, to investigate the infection of HPV
If the doctor suspects cervical cancer, he will do thorough examination using colposcope to check for the presence of abnormal cells. Doctor may use punch biopsy or endocervical curettage to obtain the tissues from the cervix.
If it’s confirm that the lady has cervical cancer, doctor will suggest imaging tests like X-rays, CT scan, PET to determine the stage of the cancer.
Treatment of any cancer depends upon the stage of the disease. The early stage cervical cancer can be very well treated with the individualised medicines prescribed after carefully examining the physical, mental and emotional symptoms of the patient. The best homeopathy doctor will carefully study the case and start medication to give relief in presenting symptoms, along with treating the case from its roots.