What is cerebral palsy?
The term ‘cerebral’ refers to brain, while ‘palsy’ means weakness, disability or medically paralysis of body movements. Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that refers to problem in muscle tone, movement and coordination. This usually happens due to injuries or damage caused to the brain, during intrauterine life of the infant, while the brain is still in the phase of development. Sign and symptoms of the cerebral palsy are most often diagnosed during infant life or preschool age. Cerebral palsy is one of the most common motor disabilities that occur to children.
The most common feature of cerebral palsy is impairment of movement, which may be associated with complaints like, abnormal reflexes, floppiness or rigidity of the limbs and trunk, abnormal posture, involuntary movements, unsteady walking, or combination of any of theses problems. Children might also present with eye muscle imbalance, which might make it hard for them to focus on any object.
The sign and symptoms of cerebral palsy are vast in range and may vary greatly from person to person. The severity of these symptoms might also show great variability between individuals. Some people are known to lead their lives with minimum difficulties with little disabilities, while some may need a full time assistance for them to carry out their daily activities.
Homeopathy can be very promising in management of the cases of cerebral palsy. Individualised homeopathic treatment for cerebral palsy is effective to very extent and help in improving the quality of life of the patient. Dr. Ashok Choudhary is the best homeopathy doctor for cerebral palsy and has vast experience of 21 years in this field.
The common sign and symptoms
As we discussed, the sign and symptoms of cerebral palsy may vary greatly from person to person in appearance and severity, yet there are few ones that remain common to most of the patients, like-
- delayed motor skill milestones, like rolling over, sitting up by own and crawling
- muscles being too floppy or too stiff
- delayed speech and difficulty in speaking
- spasticity, with stiffness of muscles and exaggerated reflexes
- lack of muscle coordination
- involuntary movements
- difficulty in swallowing
- difficulty in walking
- dominance of one side of the body while performing activities and neurological problems, like seizures, intellectual disabilities, and blindness.
The causes and risk factors involved
Cerebral palsy is caused due to abnormality and defects in brain tissues, during intrauterine life. In most of the cases, the exact cause is never known, but the possible causes may include-
- gene mutations
- maternal infections, that may affect foetus
- fetal stroke, that may reduce the blood supply to the brain of developing foetus
- Bleeding into the brain of foetus or newborn
- infection in infants
- traumatic head injury
- decreased oxygen supply to the brain.
There may be several risk factors associated with cerebral palsy, depending upon the health issues faced by both mother or foetus. In case of mothers, exposure of pregnant lady to infections like cytomegalovirus, rubella, herpes, syphilis, toxoplasmosis, Zika virus can significantly increase the risk of cerebral palsy in infants. Other health related problems like thyroid dysfunction, seizures, and exposure to certain chemicals and toxins can also increase the risk.
While in infants, infections like bacterial meningitis, viral encephalitis, severe and untreated jaundice and bleeding into the brain due to stroke are leading causes of cerebral palsy.
Homeopathy can provide safe, gentle and rapid cure in the cases of cerebral palsy. The chosen individualised medicines are best for managing the symptoms and improving the condition of the patient as a whole.
Individualised homeopathic treatment for cerebral palsy is most promising for providing maximum benefit to the patients. These medicines are chosen personally for every patient, considering the mental and emotional makeup of the person, along with his physical sign and symptoms. Individualised medicines work on the holistic concept, considering body as a whole which is diseased or deranged, not just the brain or body parts which exhibit sign and symptoms. Individualised homeopathic medicines can arouse the inner strength of the body to fight back the abnormal sensation, sign and symptoms in the body.
Individualised homeopathic remedy can only be found after detailed case taking, but there are some medicines which cover maximum sign and symptoms of cerebral palsy and are most commonly prescribed. Some of the frequently used homeopathic medicines for cerebral palsy are-
- Gelsemium- The action of this medicine on nervous system is well marked. Child needing this medicine is dull, drowsy with dizziness and trembling of the parts. There is great muscular weakness with complete relaxation and prostration. Gelsemium works wonderfully in paralysis of various group of muscles, like eyes, throat, chest, larynx, sphincter, extremities, etc.
- Plumbum met- This is very good medicine in the cases where paralysis of muscles is accompanied by progressive muscular wasting. The child may present with excessive and rapid emaciation, along with paralysis. Usually there is single muscle paralysis with difficulty on raising or extending the arms. This medicine works good for infantile paralysis and is best for peripheral affections.
- Hypericum- This medicine works best when any nerve related ailments are caused due to injury to the nerves. The red line symptom of this medicine is excessive pain accompanied with the problem. Due to nerve injury, patient might have neuritis with tingling, burning and numbness of the affected parts. There might also be presence of a sensation of crawling in hands and feet.
- Causticum- This medicine is again indicated where there is progressive loss of muscular strength. This progressive loss of muscle power ultimately leads to gradual appearance of paralysis. This medicine is also very effective in treatment of local paralysis, like paralysis of vocal cords, muscles of deglutition, of tongue, eyelids, bladder and extremities. The child has unsteady gait, and may fall easily.
- Argentum nitricum- The neurotic effects of this medicine are very well marked. This covers many conditions related to brain and spinal cord, if the symptoms match. Most marked symptoms include unsteadiness of gait, symptoms of in coordination, want of balance everywhere, may be physical or mental. The parts which are affected tend to tremble. Children needing this remedy have prematurely aged looks, with strong desire to have sweets. Paralysis in this homeopathic medicine for cerebral palsy is often accompanied by abdominal symptoms. This is also a wonderful remedy for post diphtheric paralysis.
AVI homoeopathy is the best virtual clinic for child related disorders. Parents of challenged children can consult the best homeopathic doctor for cerebral palsy being at home only, and get the best possible homeopathic treatment. Dr Ashok Choudhary is one of the best homoeopathic doctors for cerebral palsy in India. He has specialised in treatment of all types of cases of cerebral palsy in over past 21 years of his experience, and is known to improve general quality of life of his patients significantly.