What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel is a narrow passage present on the palm side of the hand, which is surrounded by bones and ligaments. Median nerve passes through the carpal tunnel and provides sensation to thumb, index finger, long finger and part of ring finger.
Carpal tunnel syndrome also called median nerve entrapment or median nerve compression is caused due to pressure on the median nerve, which can happen due to swelling of the nerves, inflammation of the tendons, or other reasons that can cause swelling in the carpal tunnel. This can cause numbness, tingling and weakness in the hand and arm.
Carpal tunnel syndrome usually develop in people between the age group of 45 to 64 years. It is more common in women than men and can affect one or both wrists at a time.
Timely and proper treatment usually relieves the symptoms and restore normal functioning of the wrists. However, if left untreated, there can happen permanent swelling in the median nerve, which may cause permanent loss of sensation and weakness in the muscles which are innervated by median nerve.
Effectivity of homeopathic treatment in nerve diseases like carpal tunnel syndrome has been par excellence. Best homeopathy doctor can help in restoring the sensation, as well as cure the disease from its roots.
The main cause for developing carpal tunnel syndrome is pressure on the medical nerve. Median nerve runs from the forearms, then passing through the carpal tunnel ends up in the the palm. It provides sensation to the palm side of the thumb and fingers, except the little finger. Anything that squeezes, pressurises or irritate median nerve in the carpal tunnel can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.
Mostly there are underlying medical conditions that may cause inflammation in the wrist or obstruct the blood flow, resulting into this condition. Some of the conditions that have been linked to carpal tunnel syndrome are-
- Thyroid dysfunctions
- Fractures and trauma to the wrist
- Fluid retention during pregnancy
- Rheumatoid arthritis, etc
Signs & Symptoms
The sign and symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are observed along the path of the median nerve. There may be loss of sensation in the part, making the hand ‘falling asleep’ that may cause dropping of things from the hands. Some other sign and symptoms may include-
- Numbness, tingling and pain in the thumb along with first three fingers of the hand
- There may be pain and swelling sensation of burning travelling up the arms
- Excessive wrist pain
- Weakness in the muscles of the hand, causing dropping of objects from the hand
Several factors may increase the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome , irrespective of the fact that they may not be involved directly in causing the disease. They may include-
- Anatomical factors like fractures, dislocations and arthritic conditions of the wrist.
- Women are more at risk of developing this condition as they have relatively smaller tunnel as compared to men.
- Conditions like diabetes, which may result in nerve damage increase the risk.
- Auto immune disease that cause inflammation, like rheumatoid arthritis can cause swelling in the wrist area.
- Obese people are more at risk
- Fluid retention in body, like during pregnancy and menopause can put extra pressure on the median nerve.
- Continuous working with vibrating tools or having job where prolonged flexing of the wrist is required may result in swelling and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Other underlying medical conditions like thyroid dysfunctions, kidney failure, lymphedema also increase the risk.
Homeopathic Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Symptoms produced by carpal tunnel syndrome can permanently be cured with the help of homeopathy. Homeopathy can also remove the root cause of the disease. The individualised homeopathic medicine prescribed by the best homeopathy doctor, based on the characteristic features of the individual symptoms can effectively remove the underlying cause of the disease, along with permanent relief by restoring the normal sensation in the hands.