What is AOM?
AOM is a painful inflammatory condition of the middle ear, which is air filled space behind the tympanic membrane, that has 3 tiny ear ossicles of bones that help out in conducting the sound.
Children are more prone for getting infected than adults. The signs like intense crying in infants with clutching of ears may point out towards AOM. In older children, they may complain about the pain in the ears.
Acute suppurative otitis media is marked by the presence of purulent fluid in the middle ear. By culturing, the pathogenic bacterias can easily be detected in most of these purulent fluids.
AOM can easily be managed with treatment. Though, some people have tendency to multiple ear infections at a time, which can lead to serious complications and hearing impairment.
Here, in AVI homeopathy we are specialised in dealing with any of such diseases related to ear. We are the best child homeopathy clinic in Jaipur and give rapid relief in pain and inflammation caused in AOM in children.
The Eustachian tube is the part of the ear, that connects middle ear with the back of throat. Sometimes, eustachian tube becomes inflamed in children and blocks or traps fluid from the middle ear, which results in inflammation of the middle ear, resulting into AOM. In younger children eustachian tube is relatively smaller and horizontal as compared to adults and older children, which again contributes in easy development of AOM in younger children. The trapped fluid sometime become infected and result into acute suppurative otitis media.
The reasons for eustachian tube to become blocked or swelled up in children are-
- Common cold and flu
- Infection in sinus
- Infected and enlarged adenoids
- Drinking, while lying down, as in infants
Sign and symptoms
The onset of AOM is rapid. The sign and symptoms produced in children may include-
- Pain in ear, especially while lying down
- Tugging and pulling at the ear
- Intense crying in infants
- Difficultly in hearing
- Imbalance while walking
- High fever
- Drainage of fluid from the ears
- Loss of appetite
AOM is less common in adults, and present with symptoms like-
- Pain in ear
- Fluid from the ear
- Difficulty in hearing
Factors that increase the risk AOM are-
- Children who are between the ages of 6 months and 2 years are more susceptible for ear infections. This is because their immune system is still building up and due to the anatomy of their eustachian tube.
- Young children who go to day care and schools are more likely to develop common cold and flu, and thus are more prone to AOM.
- Infants who drink while lying down
- People who have allergic constitutions are also at high risk
- People living in the areas of high pollution
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- Children having cleft palates find difficulty in draining fluid from the eustachian tube
Most of the AOM do not cause any significant or long term complications, but sometimes it may lead to-
- Impaired hearing
- Difficulty in speech and developmental delays
- Spreading of infections to nearby tissues
- Damage to the tympanic membrane
Doctor can diagnose AOM by going into the history and symptoms of the complaint. Doctor will physically examine the ear with the help of otoscope to look for the discharges, inflammation and damage in the tympanic membrane.
If the doctor is still not sure for the diagnosis and the condition keeps on relapsing, doctor may advice for additional tests like- tympanometry, acoustic reflectometry, tympanocentesis, etc.
Homeopathic treatment in the cases of AOM has given very encouraging results. We at AVI homeopathy prefer constitutional medicines for the patients to cure the disease from their roots. Constitutional medicines are prescribed on the holistic approach, in which patient’s mental and spiritual symptoms are considered along with the physical symptoms.
AVI homeopathy is also the best child homeopathy clinic in Jaipur which specialises in treating such diseases with mostly affect children.