Anxiety is a natural response of a person to any kind of stress situation. Having anxiety reactions to certain situations like first day to school, taking any examination, before going to a stage or public speaking, etc is a normal and healthy feeling.
But if this feeling is frequent, unnecessary, extreme and persists more than 6 months, it is abnormal and categorised under anxiety disorders.
What are anxiety disorders?
In the case of anxiety disorders, the feeling of apprehension and fear is intense and sometimes debilitating. It comes under mental illness and interferes in carrying out normal daily activities. The person facing these disorders may always remain in constant state of fear, which is persistent and difficult to control.
They are emotional disturbances and can affect a person at any age. If left untreated, these may lead to serious complications and the person may not even be able to go out of the house because of fear and the conditions keep on worsening with time.
Exact causes of anxiety are unknown. But it is likely to be caused by combinations of genetic and environmental factors including some issues in the brain chemistry. Going through any traumatic experience may also trigger this disorder in a person, if he is already prone to anxiety.
Some medical conditions are also sometimes seen associated with anxiety, like
- Thyroid problems
- Drug misuse or abuse
- Heart diseases
- Withdrawal from alcohol or other medications
- IBS, etc
The feeling of anxiety may be different for different people. It may be general or specific for any place or situation. Some people may just have raised heartbeats, while others may have severe panic attacks, nightmares, distressing thoughts, etc.
Some common symptoms that are felt by most of the people include
- Nervousness, restlessness and fear
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- GIT problems like diarrhoea and gastric
- Feeling of uncontrollable worry and fear
- Trying to avoid the triggers or situations that bring on the symptoms
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Some common types of anxiety disorders include
- Panic attacks- This is most common type of anxiety disorder, in which the person may have repeated and sudden feeling of intense fear and anxiety, accompanied by the feeling of impending doom, breathlessness, severe palpitations with excessive sweating.
- Phobias- This is a disorder in which a person may get a severe panic attack or major anxiety when one faces certain specific situation or object.
- Social anxiety disorders- Person facing social phobia tries to avoid any social gatherings or situations because of the fear of being judged, feeling of embarrassment and self consciousness.
- Obsessive compulsive disorders- There are irrational recurring thoughts about any thing which forces one to perform repeated behaviours.
- Separation anxiety disorders- This is childhood disorder in which a child faces an excessive anxiety when separated from parents.
- Anxiety due to any medical conditions- These are caused due to some physical health problems like heart disease, thyroid disorders, etc.
- Post traumatic stress disorder- They are caused after facing any traumatic stress situation.
Homeopathic Treatment for Anxiety
Homeopathy provides best medical treatment on the cases of anxiety, no matter what type of disorder is being faced by a person. Homeopathic approach in such cases is mostly by finding out the constitutional remedy for the patient. For this approach patient is interrogated carefully about the history of the disorder with the mental symptoms. After careful case taking, medicine is prescribed on the individual symptoms of the patient, which is characteristic to that individual. Patients should take help from the homoeopathy specialist doctor who are well versed in such case takings.
Medicines prescribed on this basis act in most holistic and natural way to uproot the disease from their base and reduce the extensiveness of the symptoms.