Stammering also called stuttering is a speech disorder in which recurrent and significant problems with the normal smoothness and flow of speech. Such as, they may repeat or prolong a word, syllable or phrase, or stop during speech and disrupting normal flow of speech or no sound for certain syllables.
It occurs most often in children between the ages of 2 and 5 as they are developing their verbal communication skills. Stammering speech may be accompanied by struggling behaviors (secondary behaviors), such as rapid eye blinks, tremors of the lips, or movement of the limbs.
Experts don’t know for sure what causes stammering in a child. A combination of factors may be involved. They may include one or more of the following:
- Stammering tends to run in families. It appears that Stammering can result from inherited (genetic) abnormalities in the language centers of the brain.
- Stammering can result from a stroke, trauma or other brain injury (In some cases).
- Some evidence indicates that abnormalities in speech motor control such as timing, sensory and motor coordination are implicated.
- Boys are much more likely to stammer than females are Children who have developmental delays or other speech problems may be more likely to stammer. Stammering signs and symptoms may include:
- Repetition of a sound, syllable or word
- Anxiety about talking
- Difficulty in starting a word, or a sentence
- Prolonging a word
- Excess nervousness and movement of the face or upper body to produce a word
- Pauses within a word (broken word) etc.
- Facing problem while starting sentence or a word
- Sound, word repetition
- Hesitation while sounds utteration
- Tighter up of upper body & face at the time of talking
Role of Homeopathy in Stammering
The Homeopathic system provides very effective and safe treatment for stammering. Homeopathy is a holistic medicine and treats the whole person. Homeopathic medicines are natural, gentle, harmless, and easy to take especially for children Homeopathy has a range of natural medicines that are highly effective treating stammering patients. The beauty of Homeopathy is that it not only cures the stammering but also regains the self-esteem and self-confidence of the children which he or she has lost. So, according to Dr Chaudhary for a good result the earlier the treatment for stammering is started, the higher the chances of a good recovery. At our center, we have been able to treat number of stammering children.